Some nice weather moves in this week, but look out for showers possibly on Wednesday and Friday into the weekend. Here’s what should be on your radar this week in Pearland/Friendswood.
City and county
- Pearland City Council will hold a joint public hearing with the Planning and Zoning Commission at 6:30 p.m. Monday in City Hall, located at 3519 Liberty Drive, Pearland.
- The Galveston County Commissioners Court will have a special meeting at 1 p.m. Tuesday to approve a contract for a project management firm to oversee the implementation plan for reforms to the county’s justice system.
- Friendswood’s Fourth of July Steering committee will meet at 6 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall, located at 910 S. Friendswood Drive, Friendswood.
- The Friendswood Republican Women will host a candidate forum for city council and drainage district races at 6 p.m. Thursday at Reach Church, 104 Whispering Pines Ave., Friendswood.
- Friendswood’s Planning and Zoning Commission will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at City Hall, located at 910 S. Friendswood Drive, Friendswood.
- Alvin ISD students and teachers have a holiday this Friday, April 20.
- Friendswood ISD students have a student-only holiday this Friday, April 20.
- Galindo Meat Market is now open in Pearland. The market offers cuts of locally sourced meat, including short ribs, tomahawk steaks, rib-eye steaks and lamb chops. It also sells tacos and breakfast tacos featuring homemade tortillas, chorizo and barbacoa.
- The Brazoria County Alliance for Children will team up with the Pearland Police Department to host a pinwheel project to bring attention to victims of child abuse in Brazoria County. The event will take place at 10 a.m. Thursday at the Pearland Police Department, 2555 Cullen Blvd.
- Pearland Coffee Roasters, 4106 Broadway St., is hosting a roundtable for high school students to meet with counselors and local pastors to talk about stress and anxiety in their lives. The event runs from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday, with free drinks provided to the students. 281-485-6670.
- Construction begins on Pearland Parkway and the southbound inside lane of Hwy. 288 from Clear Creek to McHard Road on Monday. Learn more about these lane closures and others here.