One week into March 1 primary election early voting period, turnout in Williamson County tops 4%

Williamson County elections sign
Williamson County early voting locations are open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Feb. 22-25. (Taylor Girtman/Community Impact Newspaper)

Williamson County early voting locations are open from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Feb. 22-25. (Taylor Girtman/Community Impact Newspaper)

With four days left in the early voting period ahead of the March 1 primary election, 4.34% of Williamson County registered voters have cast a ballot through Feb. 20.

From Feb. 14-20, 15,982 Williamson County residents cast a ballot in person while an additional 1,366 voted by mail. Williamson County has also received 17 limited and 30 provisional ballots.

Of the ballots cast so far, 64% have been in the Republican primary while the remaining 36% were in the Democratic primary. During the primary, voters are selecting candidates for statewide and local offices who will appear on the November 2022 ballot, including three positions on Williamson County Commissioners Court.



Early voter turnout in Williamson County has been slightly stronger than that seen in neighboring Travis County. As of Feb. 20, just 3.5% of registered Travis County voters have cast a ballot.

Early voting locations are closed Feb. 21 in observance of Presidents Day and will reopen from Feb. 22-25 from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. More information on voting in the March 1 primary is available online through the Williamson County Elections Department.


By Claire Shoop

Reporter, Northwest Austin

Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition and in December 2021 moved to Austin to become the reporter for the Northwest Austin edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.