Lake Travis ISD dancers perform in NYC Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Lake Travis Red Rubies students Lilian Gonzales, Phoebe Brice, Jaylynn Bynes and Faith Flickinger all traveled to NYC for the Thanksgiving Day parade.

Select members of the Hudson Bend Middle School Pom Squad and Lake Travis High School Red Rubies represented Lake Travis ISD in the 92nd Annual Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

The dance performance opportunity was organized for award-winning individuals and teams that consisted of dancers from middle schools, high schools and studios from across the country, LTISD Director of Communications Marco Alvarado said.

The dancers rehearsed with staff from ShowMakers of America, including Laura Truett—Hudson Bend Middle School Pom director and Cavalette assistant—to perfect their performance for NBC, Alvarado said.

Along with rehearsals, the students visited New York City landmarks, attended a Broadway Show and the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular, ice skated at Rockefeller Center and more.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019, and in addition, editor of Leander-Cedar Park in August 2020.

Art Barn ATX owner Amber Gordon uses resin on a project. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)
Get messy on purpose, enjoy lake views at Art Barn ATX in Leander

The business hosts birthday parties and summer camps along with art sessions for all ages.

Lakeway city council voted Jan. 19 to annex and zone land off Tomichi Trail for use as a future park. (Greg Perliski/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lakeway council votes to annex and zone land for park to be near Crosswind community

Lakeway City Council heard environmental concerns at its Jan. 19 meeting.

Save Austin Now wants to overturn a city policy that allows public camping. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
Aiming to reinstate camping ban, group guarantees it has enough signatures to put controversial policy on ballot

If validated, the controversial decision to lift the public camping ban could be up to voters in May.

The Austin-based eatery's menu is inspired by Nashville hot chicken; offerings include chicken bites, jumbo tenders, chicken sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, collard greens and homemade pies. (Courtesy Tumble 22)
Nashville-style hot chicken restaurant coming to Round Rock and more Central Texas news

Read the latest business and community news from Central Texas.

Screen shot of a web meeting
COVID-19 rates in Travis County starting to improve, but vaccine distribution remains complicated

Austin Public Health and other local distributors still lack enough supply to provide all qualified residents with an initial dose of the coronavirus vaccine.

The 87th Texas Legislature convened Jan. 12. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
State bills target Austin’s police cuts, forced closure of businesses during pandemic

Legislative bills are still being drafted, but even in the session's very beginning, a handful of proposals have drawn the attention of local officials.

Feeding Texas hosted a Jan. 19 webinar to discuss legislative highlights for the 87th Texas Legislature. (Screenshot courtesy Feeding Texas)
Food insecurity in Texas' 87th Legislature: Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas to propose legislation addressing hunger

Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas hosted a webinar Jan. 19 to discuss increasing funding and accessibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in the 87th legislative session.

Abby Jane Bakeshop held a soft opening Jan. 16-17 in Dripping Springs. (Nicholas Cicale/Community Impact Newspaper)
From pastries to pizza, Abby Jane Bakeshop bringing treats to Dripping Springs

The new bakeshop is set to open Jan. 21 off Fitzhugh Road.

Lakeway city council will consider Jan. 19 annexation of land off Tomichi Trail that may be zoned for use as a park. (Greg Perliski/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lakeway to consider land annexation near Little Rough Hollow Cove, drawing attention of Spicewood neighbors

Lakeway will consider annexing a parcel of land and zoning the area for a park.

COVID-19 vaccines
DATA: Texas has vaccinated about 9% of estimated Phase 1 recipients

Over 1.1 million individuals from the Phase 1 population, which is estimated to include 13.5 million individuals total, have received at least one dose.

Bob Popinski, policy director of Raise Your Hand Texas, shared the organization's top education priorities for the ongoing legislative session. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
‘What does virtual learning and remote learning look like moving forward?': Raise Your Hand Texas policy director talks legislative priorities

Bob Popinski is the director of policy for Raise Your Hand Texas, an Austin-based organization committed to improving public education. He spoke with Community Impact Newspaper in late December about the 87th legislative session, which began Jan. 12.