McNeil Drive from US 183 to Pecan Street is filled with locally owned places to eat, drink, shop and relax. Many service-oriented businesses offer same-day express services, such as Austin Cleaners and World Wind Kites, which can restring tennis rackets and repair kites.
1. Pinup Salon owners Monnie and Brian Hightower said that when they opened their business about three years ago, they wanted to bring a "funky" South Austin vibe to the north part of town. The salon, located at 7318 McNeil Drive, Ste. 110, specializes in pinup hairstyles and updos. Other services include Brazilian blowouts, hair extensions, hair color highlights and lowlights and facial waxing. 512-258-4244. www.pinupsalonaustin.com
2. Selma Berlet and her son Kerem Ozen have co-owned their full-service hair salon, Selma's International Boutique & Hair Design, for seven years. Many of the environmentally friendly salon's products have no ammonia or peroxide in them. Services at the salon include haircuts, updos, hair bleaching and toning, perms, and wig and hairpiece styling. The salon is located at 7119 McNeil Drive. 512-249-8900. www.selmasdesign.net
3. George Calhoun offers basic chiropractic services at 7208 McNeil Drive, Ste. 203. The business has been open for at least 22 years. Dr. George Calhoun Chiropractic is open by appointment during business hours Monday through Wednesday and Friday from 9 a.m.–noon and 2–6 p.m. 512-258-6317
4. Cajun Pizza Place opened in December 2009 at 7318 McNeil Drive, Ste. 111. The Cajun-inspired restaurant cooks up menu items such as the fried shrimp po' boy, crawfish etouffee and signature pizzas such as Andy's Favorite, which is topped with pepperoni, hamburger, shrimp, onions and jalapeo. Cajun Pizza Place has daily lunch specials and live music on select Saturdays. 512-291-7997. www.cajunpizzaplace.com
5. Water Tank Bar & Grill opened about 20 years ago at 7309 McNeil Drive. Entertainment options includes pool, arcade games, shuffle board and darts. The restaurant serves American comfort and Mexican food. Water Tank Bar & Grill has live music every Thursday and Sunday and karaoke throughout the week. 512-331-9831. www.austinwatertank.com
6. Austex Fence and Deck has specialized in customizing fences and decks for 25 years. The business offers free in-home consultations and has a showroom at its location at 7213 McNeil Drive. Customers may make consultation appointments by phone. Austex Fence and Deck also carries Green Mountain pellet grills, which cooks food over hardwood. 512-258-5000.www.austexfenceanddeck.com
7. Austin Discount Mattress has been at 7208 McNeil Drive, Ste. 202, for eight years. The discounted mattress retailer carries 24 different models of mattresses from brands such as Simmons, Serta Mattress Co. and Corsicana Bedding, all of which are made in Texas. Austin Discount Mattress offers same-day delivery. The owners are Lamar and Monica Lee. 512-279-7777.www.austinmattress.com
8. Austin Expo Cars buys and sells used cars and is located at 7200 McNeil Drive. The business accepts cash and financing. Sebastian Kupcewicz is the owner of Austin Expo Cars. 512-815-0580. www.austinexpocars.com
9. Michael Lin owns World Wind Kites, a specialty kite store and tennis equipment retailer. Lin said the store carries about 200 different kinds of kites and sells them year-round. The store has been open since 1995 at its original location at 7208 McNeil Drive, Ste. 204. World Wind Kites offers services such as kite repairs, tennis racket stringing and more. Same-day service is available. 512-250-9454. www.worldwindkites.com
10. Adam Dartez opened Austin Cleaners nearly six years ago at 7318 McNeil Drive, Ste. 104. The green business uses environmentally friendly cleaning solutions and specializes in preserving wedding dresses. Services at Austin Cleaners include dry cleaning and laundry. Dartez said he hopes to expand the business to include delivery services. 512-219-6959.www.austincleaners.net
11. Data center Core NAP, located at 7218 McNeil Drive, Ste. 300, offers cloud hosting, colocation, managed services and more. Core NAP has been in business for more than 10 years and is open to its customers 24/7 every day of the year. 512-685-0000. www.corenap.com
12. Locally owned home systems business Mesa Home Systems offers free consultations and installs security systems, entertainment and home theater systems, home automation products and more. Mesa Home Systems is located at 7304 McNeil Drive, Ste. 504. Mike and Debbie Smith are the owners. 512-258-2599. www.mesahome.com
This is a sample of businesses and organizations in the area and is not comprehensive.