The closures on the interstate's north- and southbound lanes and frontage roads will allow county contractors to finish wiring work on the bridge above. The wiring is necessary to connect new traffic signals on both sides of the bridge that are being installed as part of Precinct 3's $2.4 million Robinson Road intersection and overpass improvement project, which is expected to be completed this fall.
“Conduit needs to be run along the side of the bridge over to the west side. That will take lane closures on [I-]45 because they would be working over those lanes," said Andy DuBois, Precinct 3 projects and logistics manager, at Oak Ridge North's Aug. 10 City Council meeting.
Different highway and frontage road lanes will shut down just south of the overpass nightly through Aug. 24. Precinct 3 advised drivers can expect delays and access point closures in the area while work on the overpass is in progress.
The planned closures will each run from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. and include:
- Aug. 18-19: southbound I-45 frontage road lanes; one lane to remain open (red marker)
- Aug. 19-20: southbound I-45 shoulder, right and center lanes; left and high-occupancy vehicle lanes to remain open (green marker)
- Aug. 20-21: southbound I-45 left and HOV lanes; center and right lanes to remain open (yellow marker)
- Aug. 21-22: northbound I-45 left and HOV lanes; center and right lanes to remain open (orange marker)
- Aug. 22-23: northbound I-45 center and right lanes; left and HOV lanes to remain open (blue marker)
- Aug. 23-24: northbound I-45 frontage road lanes; one lane to remain open (pink marker)