Volunteer Guide: 14 ways to give back in Conroe and Montgomery

Volunteer options at Yes to Youth Montgomery County Youth Services include collecting basic necessities and serving dinner. (Photo courtesy Yes to Youth Montgomery County Youth Services)

Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary provides homes for wolves and wolfdogs. (Photo courtesy Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary)
Help out the Conroe and Montgomery communities in a number of ways throughout the year by volunteering with local nonprofit groups. Volunteer opportunities included in this guide range from mentoring at-risk youth to caring for wolves. This list is noncomprehensive.

Empower Youth

Yes to Youth Montgomery County Youth Services

The nonprofit provides crisis counseling, shelter programs and prevention services for families and youth. On June 20, Yes to Youth broke ground on its new building for short-term housing for homeless youth.

Sample activities: collecting basic necessities, serving dinner, cleaning or organizing areas

105 W. Lewis St., Conroe

936-756-8682

www.sayyestoyouth.org

CASA Child Advocates of Montgomery County

Advocates are assigned a child or a set of siblings in the foster care system and provide legal and emotional support. Volunteers can also work in the office and perform administrative duties.

Sample activities: research court files, interact with children and family members, perform office work

412 W. Phillips St., Ste. 107, Conroe

936-441-5437

www.casaspeaks4kids.com

Angel Reach

This shelter provides mentoring, temporary housing and day-to-day necessities for at-risk youth in the foster care system.

Sample activities: mentor children, help with events

900 W, Dallas St., Ste. A

936-202-8498

www.angelreach.org

Tamina Community Center

The Tamina Community Center provides families of Tamina, an unincorporated community in Montgomery County, with access to educational resources, tutoring and support for children; adult computer classes; and activities and assistance for seniors.

Sample activities: tutoring, working at the center’s food pantry and clothing store, and other service work

18965 Main St., Conroe

281-465-4646

www.taminacenter.org

Serve Seniors

Meals on Wheels

Meals on Wheels provides meals and curbside delivery to homebound seniors in Montgomery County.

Sample activities: deliver meals, host food drives, help with events, perform office work, sort donations

1202 Candy Cane Lane, Conroe

936-756-5828

www.mowmc.org

Feed the hungry

Montgomery County Food Bank

The bank collects and distributes food to individuals and families in Montgomery County. The bank serves an average of 35,000 people a month.

Sample activities:• sort and organize food, handle produce, distribute food

1 Food for Life Way, Conroe

936-271-8800

www.mcfoodbank.org

Keep Us Fed Montgomery County Project

The nonprofit picks up extra food from local restaurants, catering companies, grocery stores and event planners and delivers it to shelters, group homes and food pantries.

Sample activities: delivering food to recipients

3915 W. Davis, Stes. 130-223, Conroe

936-206-3604

www.keepusfedmoco.org

Help Animals

Montgomery County Animal Shelter

The shelter provides temporary housing for dogs and cats in Montgomery County. Volunteers have opportunities to be with animals as well as clean the facility. Volunteers can also work in the office and perform administrative duties.

Sample activities: walk or bathe dogs, do laundry, clean playrooms, play with cats, interact with potential adopters, answer phone calls

8535 Hwy. 242, Conroe

936-442-7738

www.mcaspets.org

Friends of Montgomery County Texas Animal Shelter

The group supports animal shelters across Montgomery County. The nonprofit is looking for foster volunteers.

Sample activities: care for foster animals

330 Rayford Road, Ste. 114, Spring

www.fmctas.org

Saint Francis Wolf Sanctuary

The sanctuary provides homes for nonreleasable and rescued wolves and wolfdogs. The sanctuary also provides educational tours to the public.

Sample activities: give tours, fundraise, perform office work, care for the animals

2759 Saint Beulah Chapel Road, Montgomery

936-597-9653

www.saintfranciswolfsanctuary.org

Henry’s Home Horse Sanctuary

Volunteers care for horses in an outdoor facility and will spend time in nature doing farm work and other activities. Individuals with computer, marketing and fundraising skills are also needed. The organization’s primary mission is to serve veterans, first responders and their family members, but everyone is welcome to volunteer.

Sample activities: grooming, riding and caring for horses

Camp Strake Road, Grand Central Park, Conroe

281-292-1110

www.henryshomehorsesanctuary.org

Care for the environment

Lake Creek Preserve

This organization protects and preserves the natural area surrounding Lake Creek and maintains a hiking trail.

Sample activities: give tours, maintain hiking trail, fundraise

Sendera Ranch Drive, Montgomery

281-576-1634

Help the Community

Family Promise of Montgomery County

This organization provides shelter for homeless families as well as financial and business guidance.

Sample activities: prepare and deliver meals, office work, maintenance work, babysit, host families

1207 N. Thompson St., Conroe

936-441-8778

www.familypromiseofmc.org

Support Health and Wellness

Bridgewood Farms

This organization helps educate and meet the needs of teens and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

Sample activities: office work, assist clients during activities, sort donated items

11680 Rose Road, Conroe

936-856-6460

www.bridgewoodfarms.org
SHARE THIS STORY
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.
A resident of the Houston area since 2011, Vanessa began working in community journalism in her home state of New Jersey in 1996. She joined Community Impact Newspaper in 2016 as a reporter for the Spring/Klein edition and became editor of the pa

The lodge’s top-selling items include the cedar-wrapped salmon, chicken-fried steak, stuffed bell peppers and rib-eye filets. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Cedar Lodge in Conroe to close in 2020

The lodge’s top-selling items include the cedar-wrapped salmon, chicken-fried steak, stuffed bell peppers and ribeye filets

Margaritaville Resort announced April 4 its acquisition of the 186-acre La Torretta Lake Resort & Spa property. (Rendering courtesy of Benchmark)
Margaritaville moves Lake Conroe opening date to summer, announces operator

The 186-arce location will feature an 18-hole golf course, two restaurants, a water park, boating, fishing and other lake activities. The resort is also open for meetings and events with its 72,000 square feet of meeting space.Margaritaville moves opening date to summer, announces operator

The new plant is on 25 acres of a site east of I-45 north of South Loop 336 and will pump an average of 6 million gallons a day. (Rendering courtesy Lockwood, Andrews & Newnam Inc.)
City of Conroe begins work on new wastewater treatment plant

The new plant is on 25 acres of a site east of I-45 north of South Loop 336 and will pump an average of 6 million gallons a day.

Releaf Organix held a ribbon-cutting ceremony with the Conroe Chamber of Commerce on Nov. 6. (Courtesy Releaf Organix)
Releaf Organix now open in Conroe

Owner Laura Wilkie said her store offers a wide range of CBD products to treat a variety of issues.

Harvey
New federal funding available for small businesses affected by Hurricane Harvey

Small-business owners can apply for up to $250,000 dollars in federal disaster relief.

From left: Bill McGraw of Quality Home Products; Lindy Johnson, MCFB's director of development; Allison Hulett, MCFB's president and CEO; Kelly Holmes, the executive vice president and chief financial officer of Woodforest National Bank and chairman of the MCFB; Dr. Ann Snyder, community advocate; and JJ Hollie, the president and CEO at The Woodlands Area Chamber of Commerce, attended the 2018 food collection. (Courtesy Liz Grimm Public Relations)
Montgomery County Food Bank seeking donations for Holiday Food Drive through Dec. 9

Donation items needed include canned meat, canned pasta, 100% fruit juices and tomato and pasta sauces.

Proposed corridor improvements include installing raised medians, retiming and coordinating traffic signals, improving intersection turn lanes, adding bicycle and pedestrian accommodations, installing advanced street name signs, and reconfiguring the I-45 interchange. (Source: Texas Department of Transportation/Community Impact Newspaper)
TxDOT outlines proposed improvements for FM 1488 corridor from FM 149 to I-45

Proposed corridor improvements include installing raised medians, retiming and coordinating traffic signals, improving intersection turn lanes, adding bicycle and pedestrian accommodations, installing advanced street name signs, and reconfiguring the I-45 interchange.

Shannon Overby, the director at Conroe Convention and Visitors Bureau, said there have been no new hotel developments in the city since 2017, when the ordinance requiring hotels to have at least 100 units went into effect. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Conroe City Council rejects proposal to lower room requirements for new hotels

Since 2017, the city of Conroe has required new hotel properties to have a minimum of 100 rooms. This requirement has crippled new hotel development.

Quirky Leaf, a CBD-based health store, plans early December opening on FM 1488 in Conroe

The retailer plans to offer CBD products including tinctures and edibles from its Marcel Town Center store.

The current method of nonconsent towing has resulted in numerous tow trucks simultaneously responding to and congregating on incident scenes, which can cause safety issues, according to a proposed ordinance. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Commissioners postpone changing Montgomery County's tow rotation system following opposition

Commissioners tabled a proposed tow truck ordinance and will bring it back to discussion Jan. 9 at 6 p.m.

A U.S. Small Business Administration slide at a recent Lone Star College function shows the Houston region counties which received the most SBA loans in fiscal year 2018-19. (Vanessa Holt/Community Impact Newspaper)
US Small Business Administration loans up by 29% since 2015 in Houston region

U.S. Small Business Administration loans to the Houston region have increased by 29% since 2015, and individual loan amounts have increased by 44%.

The project is outlined in orange. (Kaitlin Schmidt, Community Impact Newspaper)
Project to widen Wilson Road now complete

The project is pending final closing documents and cleanup before being officially completed.

Back to top