Committee Chairperson Sara Holder reviewed the previously reported recommended changes the 32-member committee came up with over several meetings from mid-October through mid-December. There are three new recommendations since the proposed changes were initially released Jan. 8:
- Move 55 students from Hyde Elementary School to Ferguson Elementary School by rezoning the Coronado Apartments.
- Move 46 students from Victory Lakes Intermediate School to Clear Creek Intermediate School.
- Extend the Clear Creek High School boundary west of I-45 near Calder Road to move 39 students from Clear Springs High School to Clear Creek High. This recommendation would make an uninterrupted feeder pattern of Parr Elementary School to Victory Lakes Intermediate to Clear Creek High.
Several parents who spoke expressed concerns with students switching to new schools from ones at which they are already established, splitting up friends and canceling the investments they have made in extracurricular activities, such as sports and band.
Minnie Cantu’s freshman daughter attends Clear Falls High School and is proposed to instead attend Clear Lake High School. Cantu recommended “grandfathering in” students into the proposed changes so students already attending high school do not have to move to a new one.
“I know how hard it is to make friends and experience a new high school,” she said.
Other parents also recommended grandfathering.
“I’m sure we can figure something out with the zoning instead of moving children who have already established themselves at their current schools,” resident Stefanie Friedman said.
Some expressed concerns that rezoning would actually disrupt feeder patterns and overflow some schools. About 370 students will move from League City Intermediate School and Bayside Intermediate School to Clear Creek Intermediate under the proposed boundary changes, which would lead to overcrowding and require hiring several teachers, resident Allison McIntyre said.
The committee will consider residents’ comments before presenting its final recommendations to the board in late February. Four more public hearings will be held:
- Jan. 17 at Clear Springs High School, 501 Palomino Lane, League City
- Jan. 22 at Clear Creek High School, 2305 E. Main St., League City
- Jan. 24 at Clear Brook High School, 4607 FM 2352, Friendswood
- Jan. 29 at Clear Falls High School, 4380 Village Way, League City