The Clear Creek ISD School Boundary Advisory Committee has unveiled recommended school attendance boundary adjustments to alleviate overcrowding and balance school populations starting in the 2019-20 school year, according to a press release.
A new school, Florence Campbell Elementary School, is being built, so attendance boundaries must be created for it. But the district also has overcrowding at several schools, making adjusting boundaries necessary, CCISD Executive Director of Communications Elaina Polsen said.
The committee, which comprises about 44 residents, will hold five meetings throughout January to receive feedback on the proposed changes. Feedback can also be submitted online. Afterward the committee will make any necessary changes and present its recommendations to the board of trustees Feb. 25, according to the release.
“The committee has worked tirelessly on creating a proposal that impacts the least amount of students, addresses overcrowding in many schools, develops [an]attendance zone for the new Florence Campbell Elementary, and improves cohesive Pk-12 feeder patterns where practicable,” committee Chairwoman Sara Holder said. “The next step of our process is to receive public input on our recommendations.”
The proposed changes are as follows.
- Create Florence Campbell Elementary’s attendance zone south of FM 518 and south of West League City Parkway. The zone would run to the southernmost portion of the district in areas that will be developed in the future and would alleviate overcrowding at Hall Elementary School.
- Move 185 students from North Pointe Elementary School to Ward Elementary School by rezoning the homes west of I-45.
- Move 30 students zoned for Brookwood Elementary School to Robinson Elementary School by making a continuous attendance zone along NASA Road 1 to Taylor Lake.
- Move 64 students from Landolt Elementary School to Greene Elementary School by rezoning two apartment complexes along FM 528.
- Move 237 students from Mossman Elementary School to Hyde Elementary School by rezoning all the Lakes of South Shore neighborhoods. This recommendation is due to the projected growth in CCISD’s southwest side.
- Rezone Rustic Oaks along Bay Area Boulevard from Gilmore Elementary School to Hall Elementary.
- Zone The Landing subdivision to Gilmore Elementary and rezone a small part of Brittany Lakes south of League City Parkway west of Landing Boulevard from Bauerschlag Elementary School to Gilmore Elementary.
- Extend the League City Elementary School attendance zone from Texas Avenue to FM 270 and from Hwy. 3 to I-45 north of West Main Street. This recommendation is for the 2020-21 school year due to the construction of a new League City Elementary.
- Rezone boundaries so all students who attend Clear Lake City Elementary School will go to Clear Lake Intermediate School instead of Space Center Intermediate School. This move cleans up a feeder pattern issue so all Clear Lake City Elementary students can attend the same pre-K through 12th-grade schools.
- Rezone boundaries so all Robinson Elementary students attend Space Center Intermediate instead of classes being split up between Seabrook Intermediate School and Space Center Intermediate.
- Move 215 students from League City Intermediate School and 157 students from Bayside Intermediate School to Clear Creek Intermediate School. Under this change, all of Hyde Elementary students would attend Clear Creek Intermediate instead of there being a split between two schools.
- Move 243 students from Clear Springs High School to Clear Brook High School by extending Clear Brook High School’s boundaries to FM 528 and bringing in Emerson Park Apartment Homes and the Reserve at Autumn Creek Apartments. Under this proposal, Greene Elementary students would attend Clear Brook High School, cleaning up a split feeder pattern.
- Rezone the Clear Lake High School boundaries to include the subdivisions along Kirby Road, removing them from the Clear Falls High School zone. This change would make a feeder pattern from Robinson Elementary to Space Center Intermediate to Clear Lake High.
- Rezone the Clear Creek High School boundaries by bringing the Coronado Apartments from the Clear Falls High zone into the Clear Creek High zone.
The meeting dates and locations are as follows. Each meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 15, at Clear Lake High School, 2929 Bay Area Blvd., Houston
- Thursday, Jan. 17, at Clear Springs High School, 501 Palomino Lane, League City
- Tuesday, Jan. 22, at Clear Creek High School, 2305 E. Main St., League City
- Thursday, Jan. 24, at Clear Brook High School, 4607 FM 2352, Friendswood
- Tuesday, Jan. 29, at Clear Falls High School, 4380 Village Way, League City