Brian Babin sweeps Republican primary race for 36th Congressional District seat

Brian Babin is running for re-election in Texas's 36th Congressional District, which  includes Webster, Seabrook, Clear Lake City, and parts of Nassau Bay and League City. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Brian Babin is running for re-election in Texas's 36th Congressional District, which includes Webster, Seabrook, Clear Lake City, and parts of Nassau Bay and League City. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)

Brian Babin is running for re-election in Texas's 36th Congressional District, which includes Webster, Seabrook, Clear Lake City, and parts of Nassau Bay and League City. (Colleen Ferguson/Community Impact Newspaper)

For more coverage of Texas primary election results, visit this page.

Posted 10:55 p.m.


Republican incumbent candidate Brian Babin is projected to win the primary race for the 36th Congressional District seat with a significant lead over party opponent RJ Boatman.

With the Texas Secretary of State reporting results from eight of the nine counties in the district, Babin secured 90.32% or 53,272 votes, while Boatman received the remaining 9.68% or 5,712 votes. Babin did not immediately return a request for comment.

Babin first took the seat in 2014. His platform prioritizes border security, health care freedom, cutting taxes, advancing the space program and protecting the Second Amendment, according to his
website. Boatman’s platform also prioritizes immigration and tax cuts.



Babin will face Democrat Rashad Lewis in the November general election for the seat. Lewis ran unopposed in the primary.

District 36 includes Webster, Seabrook, Clear Lake City, and parts of Nassau Bay and League City.

All results are unofficial until canvassed.

By Colleen Ferguson

Reporter, Bay Area

A native central New Yorker, Colleen worked as an editorial intern with the Cy-Fair and Lake Houston | Humble | Kingwood editions of Community Impact Newspaper before joining the Bay Area team in 2020. She covers public education, higher education, business and development news in southeast Houston. Colleen graduated in 2019 from Syracuse University and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, where she worked for the university's independent student newspaper The Daily Orange. Her degrees are in journalism and Spanish language and culture. When not chasing a story, Colleen can be found petting cats and dogs, listening to podcasts, swimming or watching true crime documentaries.