Plano ISD nixes comprehensive exams for 2020-21 as district shifts focus to assignments, participation

Plano ISD schools will not hold comprehensive exams this year at the end of each semester as the district puts more weight on daily assignments and participation during the pandemic. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Plano ISD schools will not hold comprehensive exams this year at the end of each semester as the district puts more weight on daily assignments and participation during the pandemic. (Courtesy Pixabay)

Plano ISD schools will not hold comprehensive exams this year at the end of each semester as the district puts more weight on daily assignments and participation during the pandemic. (Courtesy Pixabay)

Plano ISD schools will not hold comprehensive exams this year at the end of each semester as the district puts more weight on daily assignments and participation during the pandemic.

The PISD board of trustees unanimously approved these updates to the district’s grading policies at its Aug. 4 meeting as officials prepare for the school year to begin next week.

“We are proposing adjusting that a bit so that ... you don't have such high stakes on tests as much,” said Katrina Hasley, assistant superintendent for academic services. “Part of learning, especially this year, needs to be really close monitoring of student progress all the way through.”

With the modified policy, there will be no comprehensive exams for any class in grades 6-12. Additionally, 60% of nine-week grades for these students will be based on major evaluations, such as tests and unit exams; the remaining 40% will be based on daily assignments. Semester grades for grades 6-12 will be weighted equally from the nine-week grades in the semester.

Board members voiced their support for the changes.


“I know it's going to be a great help for getting students to log on and participate on the daily, especially our at-home students, but [also] just in general,” trustee Cody Weaver said.