Four McKinney ISD board of trustees seats are up for election this year: Places 1, 2, 3 and 7.
Filings to run for the school board opened Jan. 13. Eight people have filed paperwork to run:
- Incumbent Maria McKinzie for Place 1
- Larry Jagours for Place 1
- Incumbent Philip Hassler for Place 2
- Erwin Garcia for Place 3
- Chad Green for Place 3
- Francisco Javier “Harvey” Oaxaca for At-Large Place 7
- Joy A. Booth At-Large Place 7
- Joseph Brian "J.B." Franze for At-Large Place 7
Place 3 incumbent Kathi Livezey did not file for re-election, according to the district website as of 8 p.m. Feb. 12.
Board members in MISD serve two-year, staggered terms and are not subject to term limits. Candidates for places 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are elected by voters who reside in that specific subdistrict. Places 6 and 7 are elected at-large by voters across the school district.
After elections are finalized and results are canvassed, the MISD school board trustees elect a president, vice president and secretary to one-year terms.
The candidate filing period for the May 1 election closed at 5 p.m. Feb. 12.