Central Texas pollution levels on path to government-implemented sanctions

Ozone season is typically August through early October and is a time when it is most likely ground-level ozone is going to form. Click the link below for a breakdown of local air quality data.

LTW-10-18-19-1
LTW-10-18-19-3
LTW-10-18-19-4
Untitled-1
As “ozone season” concludes Central Texans should still be mindful of letting their car idle and other actions that release emissions, according to the Capital Area Council of Governments.

Ozone season is typically August through early October and is a time when it is most likely ground-level ozone is going to form, said Heather Jefts, a Central Texas Clean Air Coalition member.

Information from the Environmental Protection Agency states that ground-level ozone is not emitted directly into the air but is created by chemical reactions in the presence of sunlight. Breathing ozone can trigger a variety of health problems, particularly for children, the elderly and people with lung diseases such as asthma. It can also have harmful effects on sensitive ecosystems.

The EPA regulates ground level ozone and uses it to monitor air quality, which has been worse than normal this year, Jefts said. About 67 percent of emissions associated with ozone formation in the Austin-Round Rock region are attributable to on-road and off-road vehicles, Travis County Judge Sarah Eckhardt said.

If the Austin-Round Rock region exceeded the 70 parts per billion standard in 2019 or beyond, the region could be designated by the EPA as “non-attainment” for ozone, Eckhardt said. The designation could include just Travis County (where the two regulatory monitors for the region are located), or it could include all or part of the 5-county region: Bastrop, Caldwell, Hays, Travis and Williamson.

Given the region’s “positive and proactive” ozone history, it is almost certain that a designation of non-attainment for the Austin-Round Rock region would be classified as “marginal,” Eckhardt said. Under current rules, this applies to areas where the design value is 71-81 parts per billion.

The non-attainment region would be given three years to come into attainment.

If the region did not come back into attainment status by its target date it could be reclassified as “moderate non-attainment,” Eckhardt said. This would open up a host of additional requirements and have implications for 20 years or longer.

Jefts said residents can help improve levels by not doing high-ozone activities such as filling the car with gas or mowing the lawn between 9 and 11 a.m, the period when most of the ozone will form for the day. She said simple scheduled changes can have a huge impact on air quality.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

A photo of latte art.
Summer Moon Coffee to open at Circle C Ranch

A new coffee shop is set to open in a previous South Austin location of Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf.

Austin City Council is considering an end to enforcement of low level marijuana possession laws. (SHELBY SAVAGE/COMMUNITY IMPACT NEWSPAPER)
Support grows among Austin City Council members who want to end local penalties for low-level marijuana possession

If successful, the Austin Police Department would no longer hand out arrests or citations for possession of marijuana with no intent to distribute.

Delays have pushed back completion of the much-anticipated Bee Creek Sports Complex to spring 2022. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Utility and other hurdles delay Bee Creek Sports Complex

Though it was initially planned to be ready for play by 2020, delays pertaining to construction and, more specifically, to water service, have pushed the completion date of the much-anticipated Bee Creek Sports Complex to spring 2022.

zanjero park water
Travis County commissioners pursue easement to bring water to Las Lomitas subdivision

Travis County commissioners are working to address colonias—unincorporated areas in the county that lack basic utilities.

Austin Public Health is investigating a confirmed rubella case, the first case of the contagious viral infection in Travis County since 1999. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Austin Public Health confirms city’s first rubella case since 1999

Austin Public Health is investigating a confirmed rubella case, the first case of the contagious viral infection in Travis County since 1999.

Travis County commissioners will receive preliminary estimates for a new peace officer step pay scale at their Jan. 28 meeting. (Courtesy Travis County Sheriff's Office)
Travis County commissioners consider revisions to peace office pay

Travis County commissioners are considering options that will revise the pay scale for peace officers, including law enforcement, corrections and park rangers.

A photo of the exterior of Baylor Scott & White Medical Center-Austin.
Baylor Scott & White's Austin Medical Center opens in Oak Hill

Baylor Scott & White Medical Center-Austin opened its doors Jan. 15.

Texas oil and gas industry could see a major slowdown in 2020

The oil and natural gas industry paid a record-setting $16.3 billion in taxes and royalties to local governments and the state in 2019, the Texas Oil and Gas Association announced Tuesday.

A photo of a sign that reads "Visit Historic Dripping Springs."
Dripping Springs City Council tangles with parking solutions for historic downtown

Council members stressed the need for long-term downtown parking solutions at their Jan. 14 meeting.

Commuters arrive at downtown Austin's lone light rail stop. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
With unveiling of 'transformational' transit proposal, support for urban rail grows among Austin leaders

Before voting on a multibillion-dollar bond referendum coming in November, the community will have to choose between an urban rail or bus transit system.

A photo of the facade of Hill Country Healing Haven.
New acupuncture clinic Hill Country Healing Haven open in Dripping Springs

A new center for acupuncture and wellness now operates in Dripping Springs.

Options in the Project Connect plan include adding light rail as well as expanding MetroRail, the commuter rail line in the region. (Amy Denney/Community Impact Newspaper)
Voters could decide in November how to fund an estimated $2.9B-$7.2B needed to expand transit in Austin area

Capital Metro, city of Austin officials are discussing financing options for expanding transit through Project Connect.

Back to top