The Texas Historical Commission is inviting the public to the grand reopening of the Austin French Legation State Historic Site on Oct. 30.
The center, located on 2 acres at 802 San Marcos St., Austin, is hosting the reopening event with guided tours, self-guided tours, a scavenger hunt and a coloring sheet station from 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
The restored historic site now features a new visitor center with retail space and a cafe. Visitors will be able to grab quick bites to eat, coffee, sweets, a mug and other Texas Historical Commission souvenirs. The building features a front porch overlooking Austin’s skyline, including the Texas State Capitol Building, and is surrounded by rolling lawns and shade trees. Individuals can use the MarketConnect app to purchase advance tickets for the French Legation, according to a press release.
The French Legation State Historic Site was built as a private home for France’s representative to the Republic of Texas in 1841. The house went through many owners, such as the Catholic Church, before it was purchased by Dr. Joseph Robertson in 1848, according to the release.