Council members are set to take up several issues June 28, including geographic representation and other recommendations of the 2012 Charter Revision Committee, the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport master plan and a proposed temporary customs facility, short-term rentals, the November 2012 bond election, a proposed Lady Bird Lake Boardwalk, and additional taxi cab permits.
Among the items of interest on the agenda include:
2012 Charter Revision Committee recommendations
Place a charter amendment on the November 2012 ballot regarding the following:
- Item 83: Geographic representation—Provide for some council members to be elected from geographic single-member districts, some council members to be elected at-large and to change the city's general election date from May to November.
- Item 84: Geographic representation—Provide for council members to be elected from geographic single-member districts, to provide for the drawing of geographic districts, to provide for the length and staggering of council members' terms, and to provide for city elections to be held in even-numbered years.
- Item 89: Reduce the number of signatures needed for a citizen-initiated ordinance or referendum.
- Item 90: Allow council members to raise political funds for 30 days after an election.
- Item 91: Move the city's general election date from May to November, to provide that council members serve four-year staggered terms, and to provide that council elections occur in even-numbered years.
Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Item 14: Adopting a new Master Development Plan for Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
- Item 75: Authorize award, negotiation, and execution of a 24-month requirements service contract with Siemens Industry Inc. to provide services to create all the interdependent system and a temporary customs and immigration processing facility at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport for the Aviation Department, in an amount not to exceed $5,000,000, with three 12-month extension options for repair, maintenance and additional components in an amount not to exceed $150,000 per extension option, for a total contract amount not to exceed $5,450,000.
- Item 42: Approve an ordinance on second and third readings amending Title 25 of the City Code addressing the short-term rental of residential units.
November 2012 bond election
- Item 93: Set a public hearing regarding a proposed November 2012 bond election. (Suggested date and time: Aug. 2, 2012, 4 p.m. at City Hall, 301 W. Second St.)
Boardwalk Trail at Lady Bird Lake
- Item 17: Authorize execution of a construction contract with Jay-Reese Contractors Inc. for the Boardwalk Trail at Lady Bird Lake in the amount of $20,682,324.30, plus a $1,034,116 contingency, for a total contract amount not to exceed $21,716,440.30.
- Item 76: Approve third reading of an ordinance renewing a franchise to Abcabco Inc. d.b.a. Lone Star Cab Company to operate a taxicab service in the City of Austin for three years.
- Item 77: Approve third reading of an ordinance amending Ordinance No. 20100527-048 renewing a franchise to Greater Austin Transportation Company d.b.a. Yellow Cab Company to allow for additional taxicab permits.
The Austin City Council is scheduled to meet at 10 a.m. at Austin City Hall, 301 W. Second St. Public hearings are slated to begin at 4 p.m. Those who wish to watch the proceedings may do so on municipal TV cable Channel 6 or online at the city's website. For live updates from Community Impact Newspaper reporters, follow @impactnews_cta on Twitter.