Frisco Veterans Advisory Committee supports former military personnel

A veteran and children watch a Veterans Day ceremony in 2016. (Lindsey Juarez Monsivais/Community Impact Newspaper)

When a veteran settles into life outside of the military, it does not mean he or she has to stop serving. A resident-run committee seeks to show former military personnel how to plug into the community.

The Frisco Veterans Advisory Committee is an organization that supports and celebrates local veterans. The committee often partners with the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8273 and American Legion Peter J. Courcy Post 178.

“It’s taking what we have imprinted on our being from being called to service in the military and now actually saying, ‘I’m going to serve my community,’” committee chairman Rob Altman said.

In 2016, newly elected Frisco Mayor Jeff Cheney made it one of his priorities to support veterans. Cheney said he charged the previously established, ad-hoc committee with forming new initiatives to make Frisco a veteran-friendly city.

“It’s bringing a sense of pride to veterans—that their community supports them and values them,” Cheney said.

The committee helps veterans learn how to get involved in the community through job and service opportunities. Altman, who is also a veteran, said the organization helps connect vets with job openings and workforce skills training opportunities.

The committee also celebrates veterans’ contributions to the community. One such way is by selecting a Distinguished Veteran of the Year. This veteran is someone who has lived in Frisco for at least a year and is actively serving the community, Altman said. Committee members submit nominations to Cheney, who selects the award recipient.

The 2019 award recipient is Frisco resident Peter Burns, who served for 20 years with the United States Army Signal Corps.

The committee also helped designate Frisco as a Purple Heart City, a proclamation that signifies the city recognizes the contributions of those who have received a Purple Heart. The Purple Heart is a medal awarded to military members who were wounded in combat or by an act of international terrorism, according to The Military Order of the Purple Heart.

The committee comprises mostly veterans, though those who have never served in the military are welcome to get involved as well, Altman said. The committee’s meetings are open to the public, he said.

John Keating, a Frisco City Council member and a veteran who is involved with the Frisco Veterans Advisory Committee, said one of the committee’s goals is to help the public see veterans in a new and positive light.

“Not every veteran is a suicide risk; not every veteran is an amputee; not every veteran is physically or emotionally scarred,” Keating said. “A lot of these folks are amazing leaders, incredibly intelligent, hardworking, and they’re ready to volunteer; they’re ready for that job you’re offering.”

Frisco Veterans Advisory Committee

Meets at 6 p.m. on the last Monday of the month
Frisco City Hall

6101 Frisco Square Blvd., fifth floor, Frisco

www.friscoveterans.org
By Lindsey Juarez
Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.

Artio Birth Care opened in October at 614 S. Edmonds Lane, Ste. 205, Lewisville. The education center offers classes and groups for people preparing for childbirth. (Courtesy Artio Birth Care)
Artio Birth Care opens in Lewisville, plus 7 more DFW business updates

Here are eight recent business updates from across the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

COVID-19 patients occupy around 15% and 10% of hospital beds in Denton County and Collin County, respectively. (Community Impact staff)
Denton County COVID-19 hospitalizations hit 15% of beds; Collin County approaches 10%

For the fourth day in a row, COVID-19 patients have occupied at least 15% of hospital beds across Denton County.

D'Ambrosio's #1 Pizza Pub will offer customers a friendly environment to enjoy a more contemporary style of Chicago deep-dish pizza. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
D'Ambrosio's pizzeria opens in Grapevine and more DFW news

Read the latest business and community news from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

99 Ranch Market has teamed up with Instacart to offer rapid grocery delivery services at stores nationwide. (Courtesy 99 Ranch Market)
99 Ranch Market in Frisco now delivering with Instacart

99 Ranch Market is now offering direct delivery from the store via Instacart.

The Omni PGA Frisco Resort is scheduled to open in spring 2023. (Courtesy Omni PGA Frisco Resort)
BEYOND THE GAME: PGA Frisco creating destination 'whether you're a golfer or not'

While the new Professional Golfers Association of America development in Frisco aims to make the city the home of golf in America, it will also have appeal for those unfamiliar with birdies, bogeys and mulligans.

The food hall adjacent to the Frisco Fresh Market will open in early 2021. (Elizabeth Uclés/Community Impact Newspaper)
Food hall coming to Frisco in 2021 set to be ‘pandemic-proof’

Frisco Mayor Jeff Cheney said the project will be “a big win for the city” and that it will tie the downtown, Frisco Square and The Rail District areas into one large entertainment district.

The $8.5 million sales tax allocation Frisco received in November was more than a 4% increase as compared to the same month a year ago. (Community Impact staff)
DATA: Frisco's latest monthly sales tax revenue up more than 4% year over year

The $8.57 million sales tax allocation for Frisco was based generally on purchases in September, the Texas State Comptroller’s Office reported Nov. 12.

The Christmas in the Square event features the largest choreographed lights and music display in North Texas. (Courtesy Visit Frisco)
TO-DO LIST: Here are 10 in-person and virtual events happening in Frisco

Here is a list of some ongoing and upcoming events taking place in Frisco and online over the next several weeks.

Tarot & Tea's sage bundles are now available at its shop inside Stonebriar Centre. (Courtesy Tarot & Tea)
Tarot & Tea opens inside Frisco's Stonebriar Centre mall

The shop offers tarot readings, intention candles, sage bundles, oils and incense.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced a COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan for the state Nov. 23 for a vaccine he said could be available as soon as December. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announces COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan

The vaccine could start being distributed "as early as next month," according to a Nov. 23 news release.

Sweets on a Stick sells hand-painted cookies for birthday parties, baby showers, weddings, holidays and more. (Courtesy Sweets on a Stick)
Sweets on a Stick now selling customized, hand-painted cookies in Frisco

The shop sells gourmet, customized sweets, such as hand-painted cookies and cake pops.

Collin County commissioners unanimously approved a $2 million allocation of federal funding to continue reimbursements of local food pantries. (Screenshot courtesy Collin County)
Collin County allocates additional $2M in CARES funding for local food pantries

Collin County commissioners allocated an additional $2 million in federal funding to the Collin CARES program to continue reimbursements for local food pantries.