1. Halloween is Monday. The Austin Police Department offers general safety tips for parents and trick or treaters. The popular neighborhood networking website Nextdoor also has an interactive “treat map” that allows residents to show whether they will be giving out candy in their neighborhood.
2. Funding is now available for a project to expand a 1-mile stretch of Manchaca Road from Ravenscroft Drive to FM 1626 into a five-lane road to alleviate traffic congestion in the area. The Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization will fund the Texas Department of Transportation project, which will establish two lanes in each direction and a center lane. The project will also add sidewalks and shoulders. CAMPO’s board voted this month to approve funds for construction of the project.
3. An expedited permitting process is being developed in Austin that could allow some businesses to open faster. City staff is expected to present draft guidelines for the process to City Council for review by Nov. 1, but council is not expected to vote on the guidelines. The process could roll out by March.
Central Market Westgate[/caption]
4. Central Market Westgate opened a Growler Station on Friday that offers 20 beers on tap. Options include Pinthouse brews such as Electric Jellyfish IPA and the Fully Adrift double IPA.
5. The Barn at Brodie Lane is targeting an opening before the end of the year, according to owner Anita Dunn. On July 7, 2015, Sunset Valley City Council unanimously voted to approve a final site plan and permits for The Barn at Brodie Lane, which includes the work now underway to transform an existing house, carport, pool and shed on the property into a pub and multivendor food operation.
6. Early voting ends Friday, Nov. 4. Southwest Austin residents will vote on several local elections, including for the city's mobility bond, Austin City Council District 2, Austin ISD's board of trustees, Austin Community College and Travis County Commissioners Court. Find your polling location in Travis County and see what's on the ballot here.