1. Burke Center for Youth, a nonprofit that provides therapeutic experiences and treatment services to young men and boys as well as foster and adoption services to Texas children, will celebrate the opening of a new dormitory with a ribbon-cutting ceremony July 9. The Burke Center raised $3.1 million over three years to build the new Founders Hall at its ranch property, 20800 FM 150, Driftwood. The new facility will provide an individual bedroom for boys in the Texas adoption and foster system who stay at the ranch. 512-858-4258. www.burkecenterforyouth.org
2. Desert Door distillery reopened The Rackhouse, its renovated event space, in May at 211 Darden Hill Road, Driftwood. The space at the sotol distillery that can hold as many as 75 people now includes a 20-foot permanent bar and new doors. It is divided into two areas, the main room and a patio, which can be rented independently or together. www.desertdoor.com/distillery
3. Dreamland, the outdoor entertainment, arts and recreation venue located at 2770 W. Hwy. 290, Dripping Springs, added a disc golf course in late June. The new outdoor activity adds to Dreamland's existing offerings of mini-golf, pickleball, live music, art, and food and bar service. The 18-hole disc golf course is set on 42 acres and winds through two miles of play. Holes range between par 3 and par 5, and the course takes approximately 90 minutes to complete. It is free to play through June 30, and beginning July 1, the cost will be $5. There is a beverage cart located on the course. 512-827-1279. www.dreamlanddstx.com
4. Happy Hound Pet Salon is scheduled to open in early August at 421 Sportsplex Drive, Ste. B, Dripping Springs. General manager Alan Daves said he originally planned to open the dog grooming business around February, but weather and construction delays have pushed the opening into the summer. In addition to grooming services, the location will feature a storefront with treats, food, toys, CBD oil for pain relief and more. A website has not yet been set up. 512-587-6297.
5. State Farm Insurance agent Mark Handley celebrated 20 years in business in Dripping Springs on June 1. Handley moved his office to a new location in 2020 at 701 W. Hwy. 290, Ste. 300, Dripping Springs. Because the move occurred during the pandemic, the Dripping Springs Chamber of Commerce celebrated the move with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on June 3. 512-894-4470. www.markhandley.com