Sorting out the details
- The ceremonies will be conducted by Judge Nicholas Chu at the Travis County Clerk's Office, 5501 Airport Blvd., Austin., from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Those interested should make an appointment by filling out this form on the county clerk's website.
- A marriage license will need to be obtained by June 22 as there is a 72-hour waiting period between ordering the license and receiving it.
- Each wedding party should arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled ceremony and is allowed up to 10 people present.
- Couples can expect a backdrop for the ceremonies and pictures along with light refreshments.
June 26 marks the eighth anniversary of marriage equality as the Supreme Court determined on that day that the Constitution recognizes a national right to same-sex marriage. That same day, the Travis County Clerk's Office issued 312 formal marriage licenses and 113 informal marriage licenses to different- and same-sex couples, according to the clerk’s office’s website.
Quote of note
“The Travis County Clerk’s office looks forward to celebrating the LGBTQ+ community,” officials announced in the news release. “Travis County Clerk [Dyana] Limon-Mercado believes it is important to uplift and express solidarity with the LGBTQ+ community, especially as they face extreme attacks from the Texas state Legislature.”