Austin ISD's new general counsel has background in intelligence

Stuart Bowen worked as general counsel for George W. Bush when Bush was governor of Texas. (Courtesy Austin ISD)

Austin ISD's new general counsel has a history in federal government work and worked in George W. Bush's office when Bush was governor of the state, according to a press release from the district Aug. 18.

The general counsel's office, an in-house law office for the district, is made up of attorneys who provide legal advice and counsel to district and campus administrators, according to the district's website. The general counsel, a licensed attorney, heads the office and reports directly to the Superintendent of Schools while serving on the Superintendent’s Executive Team.

Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde appointed Stuart Bowen to the position. Bowen started his career as an Air Force intelligence officer before graduating from law school in the early 1990s, according to the press release. Bowen came to Austin to to work as a briefing attorney for Texas Supreme Court Justice Raul Gonzalez. After this judicial clerkship, he was assistant attorney general under Attorney General Dan Morales. He then served on then-Governor Bush's staff as deputy general counsel, the release said.

As the special inspector general for Iraq reconstruction for both Presidents Barack Obama and Bush, Bowen conducted more than 400 audits and inspections that led to the recovery of roughly $1.5 billion, the release said.

Most recently, Bowen worked as inspector general for the Texas Health and Human Services Commission, where his job was to reduce Medicaid fraud. He has saved taxpayers millions of dollars, according to the release.
By Maggie Quinlan

Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs

Maggie joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in July 2021 after a year spent covering crime, courts and politics at The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Washington, near the border with Idaho. In Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs, Maggie covers education, business, healthcare, transportation, real estate development and nonprofits. Prior to CI, she graduated from Washington State University, where she was managing editor of the student newspaper and a section editor at her hometown newspaper based in Moscow, Idaho. Maggie dreamed of living in the Austin area for years and feels honored to serve the communities of Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs.

graphic
DATA: How population changed in Texas counties between census counts in 2010, 2020

Texas added nearly four million people between 2010 and 2020, according to the latest Census data.

Locker Room Haircuts opened a new location at 8900 South Congress Ave. in July. (Courtesy Locker Room Haircuts)
New Locker Room Haircuts comes to Southwest Austin, plus other business news

Locker Room Haircuts and three other new businesses are now open in Southwest Austin.

The Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission considered a finalized draft of an updated map for Austin's 10 City Council districts Sept. 15. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
UPDATED: Draft map of Austin's redrawn City Council boundaries ready for community review

Volunteer city redistricting commissioners have unanimously passed an initial outline to update all 10 City Council districts set to go into effect next year.

Photo of a sign in a field
3 weeks before first weekend, ACL Music Festival awaits permit, final health and safety procedures

Austin City Limits Music Festival has not yet received a permit for its multiweekend music festival, but the city of Austin said this is a normal timeline.

The Austin Transit Partnership approved a $312.8 million budget for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1. (Benton Graham/Community Impact)
Project Connect’s $312.8M budget receives approval for FY 2021-22

The budget will largely be spent on advancing the 30% designs for the Orange and Blue MetroRail lines.

The Davis/White Park trail will be improved through the Neighborhood Partnering Program. (Courtesy Austin Public Works Department)
City of Austin selects 4 neighborhood improvement projects to assist

The Austin Public Works department has helped complete more than 70 local neighborhood improvement projects in the last 10 years.

The city Music Commission met Sept. 13 to consider final outlines for the Live Music Fund Event Program and Austin Music Disaster Relief Fund 3.0.
Austin moving closer to sending out millions for live music events, musician recovery

Two upcoming city funding opportunities are being designed to support music industry events and provide emergency stabilization for those in the music sector.

Photo of county commissioners and community nonprofit leaders at a press conference
Travis County commits $110 million in federal funding to combat homelessness

The allocation will fund 2,000 supportive housing units.

The Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization said the 10 projects will complement existing priority projects in Central Texas. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Central Texas transportation organization advances $7 million in funding for 10 priority projects

The group also provided updates on efforts to restructure the loan it extended for the MoPac express lanes.

The court denied a motion for a preliminary injunction to stop construction of the Oak Hill Parkway on Sept. 13. (Courtesy Falcon Sky Photography)
Judge denies effort to stop Oak Hill Parkway construction

Judge Robert Pitman found that TxDOT did not violate the federal environmental review process.