A question for Round Rock ISD
When is Round Rock ISD’s new high school expected to open?
The district’s sixth high school could potentially be ready in time for the 2019-20 school year.
Big decisions made in 2016
- Trustees approved changes to attendance boundaries with several schools for the Pearson Ranch Middle School opening in August.
- RRISD’s sixth high school will be built on Pearson Ranch Road in Austin. Construction on the 481,515-square-foot facility should begin August.
- Trustees approved a district of Innovation Plan in October, which clears the way for RRISD to exempt itself from provisions in the Texas Education Code.
- Round Rock Early College High School opened its program with Austin Community College on Oct. 27.
Top issues for 2017
- Trustees have until Feb. 17 to call for a May bond election, which may include funding for a new high school and indoor swim center.
- RRISD will likely face new attendance boundary decisions with a new high school and an anticipated 12th middle school in the works.
- The Texas State Teachers Association has challenged RRISD’s District of Innovation plan on grounds the plan violates state education codes.
- Trustee Terri Romere resigned her Place 4 position on the board on Jan. 4. The RRISD will address the vacancy later this month.