Community Impact Newspaper published an April story detailing the pending closure of Highland Mall, which closes its doors April 30 after 44 years.
We asked Central Austin readers to share their fondest memories of Highland Mall. Here are a few of the replies so far. All responses are anonymous.
- “Ice skating in the mid ‘90s!”
- “Gold Mine video arcade! They even had Dragon’s Lair!”
- “It was THE place to shop in its heyday.”
- “Lived 2 blocks from Highland Mall, did a lot of shopping there.”
- “Getting my phone stolen and then having it returned because the person felt bad.”
- “Buying fake bling that you wear on your teeth at Hot Topic!”
- “Being a ‘mallie’ back in the ‘80s, hanging out Saturdays with other teens!”
- “I would take my children in the ’80s.”
- “Ice skating”
- “Many years shopping, eating, drinking and working there…I’ll miss it.”
- “It was the only shopping mall when I first moved here.”
- “Getting cream cheese brownies at the food court.”
- “Early 2000s—shopping at Forever 21.”
- “My childhood.”
Add to this list by filling out this month's reader question. We will update the story next week with new results.