A road widening project in New Braunfels is moving forward on design thanks in part to state funding.

During a June 14 City Council meeting New Braunfels council members voted to approve a professional service agreement with Pape-Dawson for the completion of design plans, specifications and cost estimates for additional traffic lanes at the intersection of FM 1101 and Barbarosa Road.

The improvements will expand Barbarosa Road from two to four lanes to match Creekside Crossing.

The project is one of four safety improvement projects to receive funding from the Texas Department of Transportation. The city of New Braunfels is slated to receive more than $1 million from TxDOT as part of its Highway Safety Improvement Program, and nearly half will go toward the FM 1101/Barbarosa project, which is expected to cost $442,000. TxDOT will provide 90% of construction costs while the city will provide the other 10%, including design and plan review costs.

Construction is anticipated to begin in 2022.