New Braunfels gets $1M from TxDOT for four major road projects

New Braunfels has learned it will receive more than $1 million from the Texas Department of Transportation as part of its Highway Safety Improvement Program. (Courtesy Fotolia)
New Braunfels has learned it will receive more than $1 million from the Texas Department of Transportation as part of its Highway Safety Improvement Program. (Courtesy Fotolia)

New Braunfels has learned it will receive more than $1 million from the Texas Department of Transportation as part of its Highway Safety Improvement Program. (Courtesy Fotolia)

The city of New Braunfels has learned it will receive more than $1 million from the Texas Department of Transportation as part of its Highway Safety Improvement Program.

A news release from the city states the allocation is intended to address safety issues at key intersections where serious documented crashes have occurred.

To that end, the city and TxDOT worked together to identify and submit projects that met those criteria.

The release states TxDOT will provide 90% of construction costs for one of the projects—Barbarosa Road/FM 306 & FM 1101—and New Braunfels will provide the other 10% of the $442,000 bill.

Construction for the remaining three projects will be covered 100% by TxDOT and is expected to begin sometime in 2022.


The four projects awarded funding are:

  • Barbarosa Road/FM 306 & FM 1101$442,000

    • Intersection improvements such as additional approach lanes and protected left turn signal phasing will be added.



  • Hanz Drive & Gruene Road$54,000

    • Advanced intersection warning signals and signs will be implemented.



  • Walnut Avenue & County Line Road–$202,000

    • Traffic signals and school zones will be improved.



  • County Line Road & Dove Crossing Drive/Fisher Park Entrance–$356,000

    • A traffic signal will be added and pedestrian ares will see improvements.



By Brian Rash
Brian has been a reporter and editor since 2012. He wrote about the music scene in Dallas-Fort Worth before becoming managing editor for the Graham Leader in Graham, Texas, in 2013. He relocated to Austin, Texas, in 2015 to work for Gatehouse Media's large design hub. He became the editor for the Lake Travis-Westlake publication of Community Impact in August 2018. From there he became a dual-market editor for Community Impact's New Braunfels and San Marcos-Buda-Kyle editions. Brian is now a senior editor for the company's flagship papers, the Round Rock and Pflugerville-Hutto editions.