1. Apple Seeds Apartments to provide training, affordable housing to New Braunfels residents
As rising housing costs throughout Central Texas push many area workers to live outside the city in which they work, the New Braunfels Food Bank and area nonprofits are working to bring a more affordable option to the city.
2. Next Step Program in Comal County awarded grant funding to offer multifaceted resources for those experiencing homelessness
In September, a new partnership between three nonprofit organizations in Comal County received grant funding through the Texas Health and Human Services Commission that will be used to provide housing and mental health services for individuals experiencing homelessness.
3. ‘It’s just what should be done’: New Braunfels businesses donate food, water to community, nonprofits
For Levi McBee, the winter storm that struck Texas the week of Feb. 15 provided an opportunity to give back to a community that has supported him during the coronavirus pandemic.
4. New Braunfels nonprofit First Footing Shelter tackles homelessness
Kellie Stallings has worked with local nonprofits for more than 30 years. In 2019, she collaborated with other area nonprofit organizations to begin planning shelter options for those experiencing homelessness locally.
5. Connections Individual and Family Services announces plans to build a new main campus in New Braunfels
In July 2020, Connections Individual and Family Services partnered with the McKenna Foundation to purchase three properties adjacent to its 1414 W. San Antonio St. headquarters. Plans to build a new main campus are now underway.
6. New Braunfels shelter struggles with high intake of animals in need
Incorporated in New Braunfels in 1979, the Humane Society of the New Braunfels Area serves the region by providing health care services and finding homes for animals that come through its facility.
7. Communities In Schools dedicates proceeds from Wurstfest and other annual events to serve Central Texas community
Each year, Communities In Schools chapters provide tutoring, mentoring, college readiness training, access to mental health care and more for students around the country.
8. New Braunfels area nonprofit We're All In donates meat from livestock raised by local youth
What began as an effort to make raising livestock more affordable for local children has grown into a nonprofit that provides meat products to local children and family shelters.