At the meeting, LISD trustees and staff will discuss the next budget that begins July 1. If approved, the recommendation would provide a one-time payment of $1,138 for teachers, registered nurses and counselors at a cost of $5,430,000.
Staff will present three compensation scenarios, which are as follows, for the next budget.
- Option 1: 2% raise in base salary starting in July
- Option 2: 2% lump sum payment in the fall
- Option 3: 1% raise in base salary and 1% lump- um payment
Human resources staff is recommending Option 2, saying it would better position the district if faced with future budget shortfalls.
"This option recognizes the value of current staff and could benefit the district if future funding decreases for 2021-22," LISD documents said.
LISD staff will also recommend:
- No increase to employee premiums in 2020-21, even though health care costs are expected to increase by 4.5% in 2021;
- Doubling the teacher stipend from $1,000 to $2,000 to match Austin ISD and Round Rock ISD; and
- A pay increase for short-term substitute teachers from $85 to $90 per day to match RRISD; certified substitute teacher pay would remain at $95, according to LISD documents.
Leander ISD has already projected a property tax rate cut for the next budget.
The online meeting begins at 6 p.m. and can be viewed live at http://bit.ly/0519lisdmeeting. The link will not be active until 5:55 p.m. May 19, according to the agenda.
Those who want to comment during the meeting need to register between 5:15-5:45 p.m. at http://bit.ly/3fx3wed.