Here are some things to know this week in Georgetown.
1. Georgetown ISD releases proposed tax rate for upcoming fiscal year
GISD proposed a tax rate of $1.409 per $100 valuation, the same rate as last year. But homeowners will likely still pay more in taxes as property values go up. The board of trustees will hold a public meeting on the rate on June 18 at 6 p.m. Read more here.
2. Garey Park opens to the public
The 525-acre park opened Saturday welcoming park-goers with fun and food. The park includes a playground, a splash pad, a dog park, an equestrian arena, fishing ponds, and 7 miles of hiking and equestrian trails, among other amenities. Entry fees to Garey Park will be waived for its first two weeks of operation, according to the city. Read more here.
3. Rehabilitation facility expansion to boost care options at St. David’s Georgetown Hospital
St. David’s Georgetown Hospital is expanding its inpatient rehabilitation ward by adding three beds along with new equipment and technology to encourage patient mobility. The $2.5 million project will bring the hospital’s total number of inpatient beds to 22 and will allow for a 15 percent increase in patients the ward can serve every year. Read more here.
4. ThunderCloud subs announces environmental initiative to stop using disposable foam cups
ThunderCloud Subs will phase out the use of plastic foam cups by the end of the year. The announcement came last week after Environment Texas launched a petition calling on the company to do so. Read more here.
5. Williamson County commissioners approve pilot program to speed up small-claims lawsuits
The Williamson County Commissioners Court approved a pilot program last week that would cut the number of court appearances for individuals filing small-claims lawsuits through a required online mediation process. The pilot program will go into effect July 1. Read more here.
6. Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter opens temporary facility in San Gabriel Park
Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter opened its temporary dog shelter in the county’s Livestock Show Barn in San Gabriel Park last week. As the renovation of the existing shelter is underway, the animal shelter is making the Georgetown Livestock Show Barn, located at 425 E. Morrow St., its temporary home. Read more here.