Although Austin ISD’s enrollment has declined for years, the district added 879 students between 2018-19 and 2019-20. However, the district reported Sept. 28 that early 2020-21 numbers show a decline this year of over 5,000 students.
For the 2019-20 school year, superintendent salaries across the Central Texas range from $195,000 in Dripping Springs ISD to $452,183 in Lake Travis ISD.
Eanes ISD has one of the highest average teacher salaries in the area at $56,530, with Round Rock, Lake Travis and Plugerville ISDs all averaging more than $55,000. Manor and Dripping Springs ISDs both have an average teacher salary that is lower than the average for Austin ISD.
Austin ISD is the largest district in Central Texas, followed by Round Rock ISD, which employs 3,531 teachers and 6,609 total employees.
An economically disadvantaged student is defined as one who is eligible for free or reduced-price meals under the national school lunch and child nutrition program.
- Austin ISD: 52.85% of students are economically disadvantaged
- State average: 60.24% of students are economically disadvantaged
- Austin ISD: 12.93% of students receive special education services
- State average: 10.7% of students receive special education services
English language learners
- Austin ISD: 28.08% of students are English language learners
- State average: 20.26% of students are English language learners