Austin council considers adding millions to budget for mass shooting response, mental health crises

Jasper Brown, interim chief of Austin Travis County EMS, proposed that the city add $1.2 million to its budget for EMS to prepare for mass shootings. (Maggie Quinlan/Community Impact Newspaper)

Austin City Council heard proposals to add millions to the city’s budget for mental health services and in response to June’s mass shooting on Sixth Street.

Andy Hofmeister, emergency medical services assistant chief, asked City Council to authorize an additional $7.3 million to fund the Integral Care Expanded Mobile Crisis Outreach Team, or EMCOT, Field Response, which diverts 911 calls from police to clinicians. EMS asked for another $1.2 million for training and ballistic vests in response to the June 12 shooting that killed one and injured more than a dozen people.

Hofmeister said at the August 3 budget workshop that the $7.3 million would allow the EMCOT call center to meet its goal of responding to 100% of 911 calls for mental health incidents.

The council authorized funding to hire 14 personnel for the EMCOT response system in last year’s budget, but staffing shortages across EMS have made it difficult to fill those positions, Hofmeister said.

While the call center is staffed 24/7, only two clinicians are answering calls. With roughly 50,000 mental health crisis 911 calls each year and each call taking at least several minutes to address, Hofmeister said two clinicians end up with a backlog of calls.

EMS interim Chief Jasper Brown proposed adding $3.2 million to the budget for an additional 40 EMS positions. Another $1.2 million in one-time costs would better prepare EMS for mass shootings, Brown said.

Of that $1.2 million, Brown said $402,000 would pay for active attacker training, and $800,000 would cover ballistic vests that, rather than only defending against small arms, could also block rifle ammunition, similar to what is used in AR-15 weapons.

The council did not make decisions on funding August 3 but will continue to discuss the proposals.
By Maggie Quinlan

Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs

Maggie joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in July 2021 after a year spent covering crime, courts and politics at The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Washington, near the border with Idaho. In Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs, Maggie covers education, business, healthcare, transportation, real estate development and nonprofits. Prior to CI, she graduated from Washington State University, where she was managing editor of the student newspaper and a section editor at her hometown newspaper based in Moscow, Idaho. Maggie dreamed of living in the Austin area for years and feels honored to serve the communities of Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs.

The 28-story tower is expected to open on West 17th Street in 2023. (Rendering courtesy Rhode Partners)
Luxury mixed-use tower The Linden breaks ground north of Capitol in Central Austin

The 28-story high-rise will feature dozens of luxury residences, including a selection of two-story penthouses.

The Independent Citizens Redistricting Commission considered a finalized draft of an updated map for Austin's 10 City Council districts Sept. 15. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
UPDATED: Draft map of Austin's redrawn City Council boundaries ready for community review

Volunteer city redistricting commissioners have unanimously passed an initial outline to update all 10 City Council districts set to go into effect next year.

Photo of a sign in a field
3 weeks before first weekend, ACL Music Festival awaits permit, final health and safety procedures

Austin City Limits Music Festival has not yet received a permit for its multiweekend music festival, but the city of Austin said this is a normal timeline.

The Austin Transit Partnership approved a $312.8 million budget for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1. (Benton Graham/Community Impact)
Project Connect’s $312.8M budget receives approval for FY 2021-22

The budget will largely be spent on advancing the 30% designs for the Orange and Blue MetroRail lines.

The Davis/White Park trail will be improved through the Neighborhood Partnering Program. (Courtesy Austin Public Works Department)
City of Austin selects 4 neighborhood improvement projects to assist

The Austin Public Works department has helped complete more than 70 local neighborhood improvement projects in the last 10 years.

200 Academy Drive could be redeveloped to bring live music and housing to a South River City neighborhood. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
South River City's historic Austin Opera House property targeted for housing development, music venue revival

If approved, the project could bring a 17,500-square-foot concert hall and dozens of homes to a 4.6-acre site off of South Congress Avenue.

The city Music Commission met Sept. 13 to consider final outlines for the Live Music Fund Event Program and Austin Music Disaster Relief Fund 3.0.
Austin moving closer to sending out millions for live music events, musician recovery

Two upcoming city funding opportunities are being designed to support music industry events and provide emergency stabilization for those in the music sector.

Photo of county commissioners and community nonprofit leaders at a press conference
Travis County commits $110 million in federal funding to combat homelessness

The allocation will fund 2,000 supportive housing units.

The Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization said the 10 projects will complement existing priority projects in Central Texas. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Central Texas transportation organization advances $7 million in funding for 10 priority projects

The group also provided updates on efforts to restructure the loan it extended for the MoPac express lanes.

Photo of a pregnant woman in the hospital
Austin doctors say pregnant individuals should vaccinate, seek monoclonal antibody treatment for COVID-19

Pregnant women are considered to be at higher risk of developing severe complications from COVID-19.