Historic Georgetown Shotgun House could be open to public more often, pending new agreement

The historic Shotgun House is located at 801 West St., Georgetown.

The historic “Shotgun House”—built between 1920 and 1930—educates the public on a piece of Georgetown history.

The home, located at 801 West St., is a prime example of what is often referred to as a "shotgun house": a narrow residence with rooms one behind the other such that a bullet fired through the front door would go right out the back, Library Services Director Eric Lashley said.

At the Oct. 22 workshop, Georgetown City Council members discussed the operating agreement between the city and the Georgetown Cultural Citizen Memorial Association for the Shotgun House. The current agreement expires January 25, and staffers are recommending a new one.

The city purchased the property in 1996 and opened it as a museum in 2002 following a 2001 restoration project. Repairs to the Shotgun House were completed in 2016, according to the city’s website.

For the new agreement, the GCCMA proposed taking responsibility for utilities, housekeeping and insurance. The organization would provide an annual report to council.

President Paulette Taylor said she hopes to have the house open more often, including during Red Poppy Festival, Black History Month and Juneteenth. Taylor also pitched creating an informational display table for visitors to learn about the site when the house is closed.

The group asked the city to take responsibility for landscaping and for the upkeep of the exterior of the building. Several council members said the city should also absorb the costs of handling trash and utilities to allow the GCCMA to focus funds on showing and preserving the house.

Taylor said adding a permanent unisex restroom near the house is another wish of the GCCMA, especially now that they plan to have the home open more often.

Though officials have said restroom facilities in nearby city buildings can be used during programing, Taylor said the GCCMA does not want the responsibility of policing people going in and out of those buildings.

In addition, Mayor Dale Ross asked Lashley and Taylor to come back with information about the feasibility of installing a fire suppression system at the Shotgun House to further protect it.

The item was for discussion only, and the new agreement will be up for approval in January. The agreement would last four years with an option to renew for three additional two-year periods, for a total of ten years, Lashley said.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

The city said residents should make sure they are only watering on their scheduled days based on address. (Courtesy city of Georgetown)
Georgetown faces watering restrictions, SW Austin private school closes: News from Central Texas

Read the latest business and community news from Central Texas here.

The Cullen Trust for Higher Education and Southwestern University donated $100,000 to Georgetown's The Caring Place on July 13. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Southwestern University, Cullen Trust donate $100K to local nonprofit

The Caring Place works to provide for the basic human needs of all people in Georgetown.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, shown here in March, announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide additional resource to help Texas combat COVID-19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Department of Defense task forces deployed to help Texas combat COVID-19

Gov. Greg Abbott announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide more resources to Texas to combat the rise of COVID-19.

Georgetown residents may not water their lawns between noon-7 p.m. starting July 14

If water use continues to increase, further watering restrictions will be enacted.

More than 20,000 early voting ballots cast in Williamson County primary runoff election. (Community Impact staff)
More than 20,000 early voting ballots cast in Williamson County primary runoff election

Check out where you can vote on election day with our interactive map.

Drivers can now count on an improved line of sight as they travel on CR 176 toward RM 2243. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Safety improved with $2.5 million County Road 176 project in Georgetown

Drivers can now count on an improved line of sight as they travel on CR 176 toward RM 2243.

Georgetown ISD parents are split on sending their students back to school or keeping them home, a district survey said. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Georgetown ISD parents split on sending children to school or keeping them home, district survey says

The district previously said it will offer in-person and distance learning options as a result of the survey.

The Williamson County and Cities Health District confirmed 37 additional coronavirus cases July 10, bringing the total to 3,654. (Community Impact Staff)
37 new cases of coronavirus, 1 death confirmed in Williamson County on July 10

Currently, 103 patients are hospitalized, 32 are in intensive care and 16 are on a ventilator.

The species that tested positive for West Nile Virus is Culex quinquefasciatus, or the southern house mosquito. This species has a flight range of about one mile. ​(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile Virus near southwest Williamson County Regional Park

There have been no reported human cases of West Nile Virus in Williamson County since 2017.

Williamson County sees 844 new coronavirus cases this week

Between July 4 and July 10, Williamson County also reported 9 additional deaths.

Texas Commissioner of Education Mike Morath announced in a June 30 State Board of Education meeting that students will be taking the STAAR in the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Education organizations call for STAAR requirements to be waived another year

Gov. Greg Abbott waived the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, or STAAR, testing requirements in March of earlier this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.