TCEQ announces public hearing dates for Edwards Aquifer Protection Program

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality will conduct public hearings Oct. 22 and 23 to receive comments from the public on actions the commission should take to protect the Edwards Aquifer from pollution.

According to a press release, the annual public hearings for the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program assist the commission in its shared responsibility with local governments, such as cities and groundwater conservation districts, to protect the water quality of the aquifer.

The TCEQ will receive all comments during annual public hearings related to the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program, and the press release said it is specifically seeking feedback on:

–Recent changes made to Edwards Aquifer Protection Program processes and application reviews
–Public participation and public notice related to plan reviews
–Regulation of aggregate production operations located over the Edwards Aquifer
–Compliance monitoring of plan-related best management practices following installation

The hearings will be held Monday, Oct. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the TCEQ Park 35 Office Complex, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Building E, Room 201S, Austin, and Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 2:00 p.m. at the Tesoro Building, Alamo Area Council of Governments, Al J. Notzon III Board Room, 8700 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 100, San Antonio.

The hearings will be structured for the receipt of oral or written comments from the public, the release said. Individuals may present oral statements when called upon.

There will be no open discussion during the hearings, however agency staff members will be available to answer questions 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the conclusion of the hearing. Registration will begin 30 minutes before the hearing.

Written comments should reference the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program and may be sent to Anne Ruthstrom, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Program Support Section, MC 174, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or e-mailed to anne.ruthstrom@tceq.texas.gov. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Oct. 23.
SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

Sgt. (Ret.) Mario Lopez and his family accept the check at Smoothie King. (Courtesy Amy Lohse)
New Braunfels veteran receives check for new home

The home is being provided to Sgt. (Ret.) Mario Lopez by Homes for Our Troops in conjunction with Smoothie King.

The Comal ISD CyberPatriots were recognized by the board of trustees on Jan. 30. (Courtesy of Comal ISD)
Comal ISD board of trustees gives recognition to CyberPatriot teams

The CyberPatriots were established by the Air Force Association.

New Braunfels has announced Presidents Day holiday hours. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
City of New Braunfels announces Presidents Day closures

Several offices will be closed for the holiday.

The Comal ISD board of trustees approved a bond proposal for a May election. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
Comal ISD board of trustees approves bond package

The bond includes four separate proposals.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in San Antonio on Feb. 13. The case is the 15th known COVID-19, commonly referred to in recent weeks as coronavirus, infection in the United States so far. (Courtesy Adobe stock photos)
The first coronavirus case in Texas was just confirmed. Here is what Austinites need to know about the virus

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in San Antonio this morning, according to a news release from the federal agency.

Casa Decor opened in November in New Braunfels. (Warren Brown/Community Impact)
Casa Decor now open in New Braunfels

The business specializes in furniture and interiors.

Smile Pediatric Dentistry opened in December 2019. (Warren Brown/Community Impact)
Smile Pediatric Dental Care is now open

The dentistry specializes in dental care for children and young adults.

Seekatz Opera House (Warren Brown/Community Impact)
Seekatz Opera House becomes antique hall

Seekatz Opera House first began hosting traveling entertainment and local events in the early 1900s. It …

CISD Superintendent Andrew Kim's contract was extended through 2025. (Courtesy of Comal ISD)
NBISD and CISD superintendent's contracts extended

Both superintendents had their contracts extended to 2025.

The upgrades are part of the NBISD 2018 bond. (Monica Romo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Districtwide security updates to be completed in Spring 2020

The upgrades are part of the NBISD 2018 bond program.

(Courtesy Fotolia)
BREAKING: Massive mixed-use development coming to New Braunfels

Development could take up to 20 years to complete

At the car seat checkup at Tye Preston Memorial Library, a technician will check that children and seats are situated correctly. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Free car seat checkups at Tye Preston Memorial Library

A technician will check that children and seats are situated correctly.

Back to top