TCEQ announces public hearing dates for Edwards Aquifer Protection Program

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality will conduct public hearings Oct. 22 and 23 to receive comments from the public on actions the commission should take to protect the Edwards Aquifer from pollution.

According to a press release, the annual public hearings for the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program assist the commission in its shared responsibility with local governments, such as cities and groundwater conservation districts, to protect the water quality of the aquifer.

The TCEQ will receive all comments during annual public hearings related to the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program, and the press release said it is specifically seeking feedback on:

–Recent changes made to Edwards Aquifer Protection Program processes and application reviews
–Public participation and public notice related to plan reviews
–Regulation of aggregate production operations located over the Edwards Aquifer
–Compliance monitoring of plan-related best management practices following installation

The hearings will be held Monday, Oct. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the TCEQ Park 35 Office Complex, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Building E, Room 201S, Austin, and Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 2:00 p.m. at the Tesoro Building, Alamo Area Council of Governments, Al J. Notzon III Board Room, 8700 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 100, San Antonio.

The hearings will be structured for the receipt of oral or written comments from the public, the release said. Individuals may present oral statements when called upon.

There will be no open discussion during the hearings, however agency staff members will be available to answer questions 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the conclusion of the hearing. Registration will begin 30 minutes before the hearing.

Written comments should reference the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program and may be sent to Anne Ruthstrom, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Program Support Section, MC 174, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or e-mailed to anne.ruthstrom@tceq.texas.gov. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Oct. 23.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019, and in addition, editor of Leander-Cedar Park in August 2020.

Hannah Sullivan, a student at Galen College of Nursing, holds a vial of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. (Lauren Canterberry/Community Impact Newspaper)
Vaccine standby list established in Comal County after confirmation from state that weekly allocations will be made available

Qualifying individuals can register on the county website to be placed on a waitlist for the COVID-19 vaccine.

Previous headliners included Cody Johnson, Turnpike Troubadours, Aaron Watson and Mark Chestnutt, among others. (Courtesy KOKEFest)
KOKEFest releases dates in Hutto; Marisol's Mexican Grill taking orders in Georgetown and more area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Central Texas area.

The proposed park would occupy 28 acres along Dry Comal Creek. (Courtesy City of New Braunfels)
New RV resort proposed along Dry Comal Creek in New Braunfels

The park would occupy 28 acres to the west of North Walnut Avenue.

(Courtesy 830 Cycling & Fitness Studio)
Here are 6 businesses that opened in the last month in New Braunfels

From a bicycle training studio to a drive-thru margarita store to a Mexican restaurant, many businesses have opened in New Braunfels in the last four weeks.

The trail is part of the city's Hike and Bike Trail Plan, which would provide the community with more outdoor recreation options. (Courtesy Pexels)
Great Springs Project assists in submission of grant application to fund Alligator Creek Trail in New Braunfels

The trail is part of the city's Hike and Bike Trail Plan that would provide the community with more outdoor recreation options.

In Comal County, New Braunfels residents account for more than 70% of the total reported coronavirus cases. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
As COVID-19 case rates ramp up in Comal County, vaccine availability slowly increases

In Comal County, New Braunfels residents account for more than 70% of the total reported coronavirus cases.

Hays County opened its COVID-19 vaccine portal Jan. 22. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Vaccine portal opens in Hays County; read Austin business news and more Central Texas info

Read the latest business and community news from Central Texas.

200 Comal County residents receive first vaccine dose at county COVID-19 vaccination center

Since vaccines first became available in Texas in mid-December, Guadalupe County health care providers have received a total of 4,275 doses, while Comal County providers have received a total of 4,900 doses.

Registration for Williamson County COVID-19 vaccines opened Jan. 19. (Sandra Sadek/Community Impact Newspaper)
Register for vaccine in WilCo; 24 restaurants to try in Leander, Cedar Park and more top Central Texas news

Read the most popular business and community news from the past week from the Central Texas area.

Dr. Judith L. Thompson recently took the time to answer several general questions about the COVID-19 vaccine. (Courtesy Texas Children’s Hospital)
'We still have a long way to go': Central Texas physician answers questions about COVID-19 vaccine

Dr. Judith L. Thompson recently took the time to answer several general questions for Community Impact Newspaper related to the coronavirus vaccine, its efficacy and costs, and other related matters.

The new development is expected to be constructed by the end of 2021. (Courtesy Woolsey Design Build)
Historic New Braunfels building finds new home in preparation for downtown development

On Dec. 15, the building that once sat at 173 E. San Antonio St. in downtown New Braunfels was relocated to its new home on the corner of E. Coll St. and S. Seguin Avenue.