TCEQ announces public hearing dates for Edwards Aquifer Protection Program

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality will conduct public hearings Oct. 22 and 23 to receive comments from the public on actions the commission should take to protect the Edwards Aquifer from pollution.

According to a press release, the annual public hearings for the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program assist the commission in its shared responsibility with local governments, such as cities and groundwater conservation districts, to protect the water quality of the aquifer.

The TCEQ will receive all comments during annual public hearings related to the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program, and the press release said it is specifically seeking feedback on:

–Recent changes made to Edwards Aquifer Protection Program processes and application reviews
–Public participation and public notice related to plan reviews
–Regulation of aggregate production operations located over the Edwards Aquifer
–Compliance monitoring of plan-related best management practices following installation

The hearings will be held Monday, Oct. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the TCEQ Park 35 Office Complex, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Building E, Room 201S, Austin, and Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 2:00 p.m. at the Tesoro Building, Alamo Area Council of Governments, Al J. Notzon III Board Room, 8700 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 100, San Antonio.

The hearings will be structured for the receipt of oral or written comments from the public, the release said. Individuals may present oral statements when called upon.

There will be no open discussion during the hearings, however agency staff members will be available to answer questions 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the conclusion of the hearing. Registration will begin 30 minutes before the hearing.

Written comments should reference the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program and may be sent to Anne Ruthstrom, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Program Support Section, MC 174, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or e-mailed to anne.ruthstrom@tceq.texas.gov. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Oct. 23.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019, and in addition, editor of Leander-Cedar Park in August 2020.

Learn where to vote, who is on the November ballot and how to vote in Comal County. (Community Impact staff)
General Election Guide: How to vote, who is on the ballot and what to know about the Nov. 3 election in Comal County

Learn where to vote, who is on the ballot and how to vote in New Braunfels with our voter guide.

Gov. Greg Abbott at a press conference
Gov. Greg Abbott to allocate $171M from CARES Act to help renters at risk of eviction

Gov. Greg Abbott will allocate more than $171 million in renters assistance from the federal coronavirus relief package to eligible Texans.

(Courtesy New Braunfels Ghost Tours)
Scary good: New Braunfels Ghost Tours makes top 10 list and more Central Texas news

Read the latest Central Texas business and community news.

Columbus Club Hall could host its first food truck rally as early as mid-October. (Lauren Canterberry/Community Impact Newspaper)
Proposed food truck rally in New Braunfels greenlit by Columbus Club Hall board of directors

Planning for a regular showcase of local food trucks at the parking lot of Columbus Club Hall has continued after the project was greenlit by the hall’s board of directors.

Several city of New Braunfels facilities will be closed in observance of the Comal County Fair. (Warren Brown/Community Impact Newspaper)
Despite county fair cancellation, these New Braunfels city facilities will be closed in observance of the Comal County Fair

Though the Comal County Fair was canceled, some city offices and schools will be closed Sept. 25 on what would have been the weekend of the 127th annual fair.

Courtesy CoWork Factory
CoWork Factory in New Braunfels closes under weight of pandemic

The downtown New Braunfels venture had been open since the fall of 2014.

Construction has continued on the new Marktplatz building despite the coronavirus pandemic. (Lauren Canterberry/Community Impact Newspaper)
Wurstfest's Marktplatz rebuild nearly complete in New Braunfels

Construction to rebuild the Marktplatz building on the Wurstfest grounds has continued through the coronavirus pandemic despite the cancellation of the annual festival earlier this summer.

Courtesy New Braunfels Ghost Tours
New Braunfels Ghost Tours named among top 10 in U.S.

New Braunfels Ghost Tours, located at 129 S. Seguin Ave., New Braunfels, in September was named the eighth best ghost tour in the U.S. by USA Today’s 10Best list.

Gov. Greg Abbott on July 27 issued an executive order extending the early voting period for the Nov. 3 election. (Screenshot of Sept. 17 press conference)
Lawsuit takes aim at start date for early voting as some Texas Republicans challenge Gov. Greg Abbott's order

A group of prominent Texas Republicans has embarked on a legal effort to undo the governor's executive order that extended the early voting period for the Nov. 3 election.

Straying from traditionals like cheese and pepperoni, Tony C's serves specialty pies such as eggplant, prosciutto and goat cheese, and the Truffle Shuffle. (Courtesy Tony C's Pizza & Beer Garden)
Restaurant Tony C's to open Sept. 24 in Round Rock and more Central Texas news

Read the latest business and community news from Central Texas.

(Courtesy Escape Haus)
Escape Haus in New Braunfels to close permanently Oct. 1

The business features live-action escape games for its clientele with five different rooms and has been open in the New Braunfels area for four years.