Here are some space heater safety tips from the OHSEM:
- Keep space heaters on a hard, level, non-flammable surface that is at least three feet away from any object.
- Plug space heaters directly into the wall, do not use extension cords.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the house or going to bed.
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Keep a special eye on space heaters around children and pets.
- Look for space heaters that turn off automatically if it is knocked over.
Hahf also said Montgomery County residents should check on their neighbors and remember the four p's: people, pets, pipes and plants.
Click here for more Community Impact tips on how to handle a Texas freeze.