Cy-Fair ISD counselors prepare students for success

Franklin Sampson is the director of guidance and counseling for all students in Cy-Fair ISD. As head of the department, he said counselors in each school help encourage students and educate them about their options during their time in the district and following high school graduation.

Why is counseling important to the educational environment? How does it help students?

Counseling is a vital part of the educational environment. Counselors are the heart of each school. They provide support, encouragement, love, joy and happiness to each campus. Counselors also help students explore the vast array of educational opportunities available to them. Counselors help students find the correct path and help others stay on the right road. This is very important because in order for us to have a successful future, counselors must continue to exercise their responsibilities by advising and assisting our leaders for tomorrow.

What are some common issues you deal with when counseling students?

Counselors are trained to handle any situation that may walk through their doors on any given day. We have trained our counselors to be multidimensional when it comes to serving our students. Counselors deal with a wide range of issues. They are as follows but are not limited to the ones mentioned: peer relationship issues, drug abuse, family crisis, social media bullying, report/performance card issues, suicidal ideation, death of a loved one, scheduling conflicts, social behavioral issues and self-harm.

Besides career and future choices, what other aspects of a student’s life does a counselor help with?

By looking at the future, the counselor helps students deal with things that are happening in their lives today. It is important to remember the quote that says, “If you fail to plan then you plan to fail.” Counselors make sure that students are in the correct classes that they need in order to be successful. They also assure that students are mentally and emotionally prepared to take on the load that they request. Counselors many times also serve as a mentor for students. They assist students where needed. They also serve as the ones who fill the void that students have in their lives.

How would you recommend counseling students who are stubborn about participating?

Students who are stubborn about participating must be encouraged just like other students. We must remain positive and continue to provide the lifelong lessons that will attempt to influence students to participate in clubs or activities at school. It is important for one to never give up on a student who may not want to join initially. Some students aren’t used to certain things, or they may not have friends that participate in school-related activities so there may be times when we will need to help them see the “big picture.” In order to help that student, we must be passionate and persistent.

How are parents involved in the counseling process, if at all?

Parents are very important and should be involved in the counseling process. We encourage parents to know what their students are involved in at school and to be knowledgeable regarding the requirements needed to move to the next level. Parents can help tremendously because they help monitor the student's schedule and report card. If parents notice an issue or a matter that needs to be addressed, they may be able to bring it to the attention of the counselor before the counselor is aware that there is an issue.

What are ways you see true success in counseling a student?

We see true success in counseling a student when we give advice or suggestions and we see positive results. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing a student who is perplexed or troubled and they adhere to the advice from the counselor and things become better. Counselors also offer academic assistance and provide needed information regarding tutorials or test preparation. When we see students who have failed or who have not performed to their full potential, then they meet with their counselor for assistance and their grades improve. It is an amazing feeling.

What goals do you try to accomplish when counseling a student?

That question can be summed up in two words: student success.

By Danica Lloyd

Editor, Cy-Fair

Danica joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in 2016. As editor, she continues to cover local government, education, health care, real estate, development, business and transportation in Cy-Fair. Her experience prior to CI includes studying at the Washington Journalism Center and interning at a startup incubator in D.C., serving as editor-in-chief of Union University's student magazine and online newspaper, reporting for The Jackson Sun and freelancing for other publications in Arkansas and Tennessee.

(Graphic by Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Q&A: Meet the candidates for Cy-Fair ISD school board Position 6

Hear from the four candidates running for Position 6.

Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures, located at 23101 Hwy. 242, New Caney, is launching a series of new rides throughout the rest of this year, with most of the new attractions opening to the public by Nov. 26. (Courtesy Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures)
Big Rivers Waterpark & Adventures in New Caney set to add 11 new attractions

The new portion of the theme park dubbed Big Rivers Fairgrounds will feature 11 amusement park rides, including a spinning rollercoaster, a rocking pirate ship, a 360-degree spinning pendulum and several attractions for children.

Q&A: Meet the candidates for Cy-Fair ISD school board, Position 5

Six candidates are on the ballot for Position 5.

A conceptual rendering shows what a high-speed rail station in Dallas could look like. A final design on the station has not yet been released. (Courtesy Texas Central)
Reversing course, Texas Supreme Court grants rehearing for high-speed rail eminent domain case

In the Oct. 15 order granting a rehearing, the Supreme Court set a date of Jan. 11 to hear oral arguments.

The amended version of the planned development unit will now go to the Austin Planning Commission for review. (Rendering courtesy Austin Environmental Commission)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: Austin commission OKs development plan near Lady Bird Lake; shopping center coming to Porter and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 15.

Through most of 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of apartments were offering some kind of concession as a way to entice renters. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Rising apartment rent continues to be trend in Houston region

​​​​​​​According to data from ApartmentData.com, Houston has seen an average 12.8% rental rate growth in the past year.

Dellrose is hosting its annual Autumn Harvest festival this weekend. (Courtesy Stephanie Cheney Photography)
Fall festivals, charity walks and more: 7 events to attend in Cy-Fair this weekend, Oct. 15-17

Events on the calendar this weekend in Cy-Fair include fall festivals, charity walks and a holiday market.

The Houston-Harris County Emergency Rental Assistance Program has helped local families avoid eviction during the COVID-19 pandemic. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Harris County evictions trending up as federal moratorium ends

More than 1,200 eviction cases were filed in Harris County the week of Sept. 20—the highest weekly number since before the pandemic.

The Smoking Joint is now open under the umbrella of Click Click Chew virtual food hall in Cypress. (Courtesy Kirsten Gilliam)
CI NATION ROUNDUP: More restaurant, retail space could be coming to north Frisco development; Locatelli’s owners launch virtual food hall in Cypress, and more top news

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Oct. 14.

State law now requires each county to establish an adult sexual assault response team. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Harris County to establish state-mandated sexual abuse response team

State law now requires each county to establish an adult sexual assault response team.

Year-over-year single-family home sales remained strong in the Houston real estate market in September. (Courtesy Houston Association of Realtors)
HAR: Year over year, Houston single-family homes remain strong, on track for record year

Check out the October report for single-family home sales in September, provided by the Houston Association of Realtors.