In July, Brad Schnautz became Grapevine-Colleyville ISD’s new deputy superintendent. He brings more than 15 years of educational experience to the school district. Schnautz previously served as superintendent for Lexington ISD in Texas, located between Austin and Bryan-College Station, with a student body of about 1,000 students. Prior to this he was in Magnolia ISD in Magnolia, Texas, for nine years serving in various capacities. He was a math teacher and a baseball and football coach before stepping into administration roles as a high school assistant principal, a junior high principal and then a high school principal. He holds a doctorate in educational administration from Texas A&M University, a master’s degree in administration from Sam Houston State University and a bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M.

What brought you to GCISD?

The work with our LEAD 2021 strategic plan. This district is very unique in our commitment for the transformational experience for creating that dynamic, engaging experience for our kids in their learning environment. GCISD had that reputation. Also, I knew you cannot get there, you cannot pursue that work, without the vision behind leadership. So Dr. [Robin] Ryan’s vision, the board’s vision and being committed to it and investing in that, it makes GCISD an elite district—I’d say a lighthouse district. It kind of sets the standard across the state, and I wanted to be a part of that. And then two, just knowing the team here, the amazing leaders that we have in place, the outstanding teachers that we have here in the district, and I just wanted to be a part of that.

What are some of your responsibilities as a deputy superintendent?

I oversee the academics of our 21 campuses, the school side of things, if you will, and just all the complexities that go along with that through curriculum instruction, instructional leadership and just all those different variables that come into play. It’s making sure we’re all working towards that same common goal, that same finish line.

Do you get to spend much time with the students?

I am somewhat removed from the campuses being in this position, but the great thing is even though you think 14,000, that’s a lot of kids, and 21 campuses, that’s a lot, I’m able to afford some time to get out on campuses and get to meet with our principals and visit classrooms.

What are some projects you are looking forward to taking on?

Student voice is big initiative for us. How we can continue to value our students and to allow them to use their voice, to tap into the student’s voice, into their talents, into their creativity? How do we take all that and create that experience, that learning platform, create that around all that and make that to where truly it’s a profound experience when they come to school every day? And whether that is in one of our traditional schools or whether that’s in an iUniversity campus, we feel we have an opportunity for all of our kids here, whether that’s through academics or through a club organization, we want to tap into all of that, their talents, their creativities, so that when they leave GCISD they’re prepared to take on whatever challenge lies in front of them. Whatever opportunities they have in front of them, we hope to equip them with the skills where they can be successful, and just be strong in that next endeavor. It’s equipping them with the skill sets they need to not just be contributing citizens but leaders in society, so they can feel confident on the social/emotional side, but also, too, knowing they received a first-class education during their time here in GCISD.

What are some challenges you are having to overcome?

I think the challenges lie in bringing everybody together and on the same page to accomplish the goals that are built around our students. And there are always hurdles when you’re looking at finance. This past legislative session, it wasn’t friendly or positive towards education, and so when you’re looking at a district such as GCISD that’s a Chapter 41 district and we’re giving back $44 million to the state for the whole ‘Robin Hood’ piece, there are challenges there financially and people just assume that because GCISD is a Chapter 41 district, they’re thinking that we just have money laying around, and that’s not the case. So just being very strong financial stewards of the monies that we do have, taking those finances and applying them to the priorities in the work in LEAD 2021 and ensuring that our teachers are well-equipped with staff development and with the resources they need to be the best they can be in the classroom. It’s making sure that every day we show up to invest in our students and to ensure that we’re committed to providing the education and that learning environment that we strive for, that they need that’s going to impact them each and every day. That gets them excited about learning, that gets them enthusiastic about wanting to come back to school each and every day.

Has the district been very welcoming to you?

It’s been a great start for me personally. Convocation was kind of the big kickoff—it really sets the tone for any school year, and my first convocation here in GCISD, it was amazing. It was exciting; it was exhilarating; it was impactful. I was fortunate enough to participate in a comic convocation skit. We did a carpool karaoke skit, and I was the driver. And I was really not familiar with the carpool karaoke piece, so I didn’t realize I was driving until I think the morning of. Anyway it was a lot of fun. So that was kind of, I guess, my indoctrination into GCISD. It was a lot of fun. That really for me set the tone and helped break the ice, if you will, and it was a lot of our new administrators. Again, it just set the tone for the year. And I think it’s been a great start here in GCISD. The excitement level is extremely high, because let’s face it, we’re all extremely excited to welcome our kids back, and then I think the students are excited to start school. So really the momentum is there, and we want to continue that. I think the great thing about where I sit in this seat, I get to support. It’s about supporting our staff; it’s about supporting our resources and making sure that we all have the resources and just everything we need to be the best we can be. And ultimately it’s about our teachers being the best they can be so our students can be the best they can be. And if our students are at their best, then boom, we’re doing some really good things for kids.