On Feb. 27, members of Grapevine-Colleyville ISD's Council of PTAs, along with community members and students, traveled to Austin for Texas PTA's Rally Day.
Doug Noell, legislative advocacy chairman for GCISD's Council of PTAs, said during the caucus and rally attendees heard from legislators from both parties who were advocates for public education.
"It was a welcome relief from the rhetoric we have heard recently from some federal and other state officials," he said.
The group met with Sen. Konni Burton, Rep. Giovanni Capriglione and Rep. Jonathan Stickland. They also met with key staff members of Sen. Jane Hancock, Sen. Kelly Hancock and Rep. Matt Rinaldi. However, they were unable to get an appointment with GCISD’s other state legislator, Sen. Don Huffines, or his staff.
- de-emphasize State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness
- oppose vouchers and ESA programs that are not financially or educationally accountable to the taxpayers;
- support adequate school funding;
- pursue a meaningful accountability system; and
- strengthen the bullying/cyberbullying laws to protect students.