1. Early voting starts today for the presidential election and several local and state races. Residents can find out where to vote and what's on the ballot in the Southwest Austin area.
2. Austin ISD will hold a public hearing tonight regarding its consideration of whether to designate AISD as a district of innovation. The district is also slated to vote on its recess policy. There is no vote or discussion scheduled on the purchase of land for a south Austin high school, which trustees had planned to vote on this fall.
St. Elmo Brewing Co. will celebrate its grand opening Dec. 3 in The Yard[/caption]
3. St. Elmo Brewing Co., located at 440 E. St. Elmo Road, Ste. G2, Austin, is targeting a November soft opening and will hold its grand opening Dec. 3 with a party starting at 11 a.m. The brewery, located in new creative district The Yard, will sell beer, coffee and soda and have food trucks on site.
4. Construction can begin on SH 45 SW in November. SH 45 SW will consist of five construction segments, which include Green Space 1 from FM 1626 to Bear Creek and Green Space 2 from Bear Creek to the interchange of SH 45 and Loop 1. The SH 45 SW project jumped another hurdle last week after the U.S. District Court in Austin denied an injunction against the project, allowing construction to begin in November. The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority has been planning the 3.6-mile, four-lane toll road, which will connect Loop 1 in Travis County and FM 1626 in Hays County.
5. Last week Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton joined a lawsuit against the city of Austin claiming fire department employees are illegally being given “release time,” which allows them to work for a union at the expense of taxpayers.
6. Portions of the Violet Crown Trail could get underway this fall. The next phase of the Violet Crown Trail, which will someday stretch 30 miles from Zilker Park near downtown Austin to Hays County, is slated to move forward this fall.