The Woodlands to extend commuter bus route to Energy Corridor in 2022

Park and ride services from The Woodlands will extend to the Energy Corridor in 2022. (Courtesy The Woodlands Township)
Park and ride services from The Woodlands will extend to the Energy Corridor in 2022. (Courtesy The Woodlands Township)

Park and ride services from The Woodlands will extend to the Energy Corridor in 2022. (Courtesy The Woodlands Township)

Image description
A map provided by The Woodlands Township and the Energy Corridor District shows the locations where The Woodlands Express commuter route will stop. (Courtesy The Woodlands Township)
A commuter bus providing service between The Woodlands at the Energy Corridor will launch Jan. 4, according to information from The Woodlands Township.

The pilot service will depart from Sawdust Park and Ride with multiple stops in the Energy Corridor off I-10. The round-trip park and ride tickets are $13 and must be purchased in advance through The Woodlands Express Mobile Ticketing app or a Park and Ride terminal, according to the township. The service will be offered Mondays through Fridays, and a map of the schedule and routes is available on The Woodlands Township website.


In January, township officials said they hoped to have the details of the service worked out by the end of this year. Funding for the program is provided by through a Congestion Management and Air Quality grant from the Houston-Galveston Area Council, which makes up 80% of the needed funds. The township and the Energy Corridor District will share funding for the remaining 20%, according to a news release from the township. Calculations made by the township in 2020 indicated this would amount to an annual average of about $74,000.

“The Woodlands Township is happy to partner with The Energy Corridor District to offer this new service for our riders,” said Ruthanne Haut, deputy director of community services for the township. “We hope that this expanded service will be of great value to our residents and local riders who work in the Energy Corridor, and we look forward to feedback about their experience.”

The need for the service became apparent after 2017, when Shell relocated from downtown Houston to the Energy Corridor and when CB&I was acquired by McDermott in 2018, according to discussions at township meetings in 2020. The changes affected about 400 The Woodlands-area employees, officials said at the time.
By Vanessa Holt
A resident of the Houston area since 2011, Vanessa began working in community journalism in her home state of New Jersey in 1996. She joined Community Impact Newspaper in 2016 as a reporter for the Spring/Klein edition and became editor of that paper in March 2017 and editor of The Woodlands edition in January 2019.