Sugar Land City Council gave the initial green light to a new Porsche dealership, which will be located between U.S. 90A and the Southwest Freeway east of Dairy Ashford Road. Located by the Extended Stay America, SpringHill Suites by Marriott and Sugar Creek Baptist Church shopping center, near the Audi Dealership, the lot is about 1.11 acres.
According to Sugar Land planner Laura Waller, the permit’s main hurdle would normally be nearby residents—which does not apply to this property.
“Of particular interest is that there's no nearby residential property,” Waller said. ”That's typically the primary concern whenever you're looking at conditional-use permits—and there are not any nearby this site.”
At the Nov. 16 meeting, city officials granted the business a conditional-use permit, bringing the dealership one step closer to fruition. When complete, the dealership will be about 100 feet tall and include approximately six stories. It will feature 233 parking spaces, 12 service bays with room for future expansion, four wash and detail bays, and 11,205 square feet of showroom and sales space.
Prior to the November meeting, the Sugar Land Planning and Zoning Commission held a public hearing Sept. 14, when the commission unanimously voted to recommend the permit with a few recommended conditions, including the following:
- Garage doors must be closed when not in use.
- Collision repair of vehicles is prohibited.
- Any outside paging or sound system is prohibited.
- Sales signs shall not be allowed on automobile inventory if vehicles are visible from the street.
- Delivery vehicles must use proper exits and entrances.
- The loading and unloading of cars will only occur within the designated area.