Wishbone Pet Care owner strives to provide quality services

Grooming services offered at Wishbone Pet Care include traditional baths as well as "pawdicures," mud baths and creative grooming, where groomers dye the dog's hair.
Bui screens all the products she sells in the shop in order to provide high-quality food from family-owned businesses and treats to her customers.
Becoming a pet owner 11 years ago changed the course of Tammi Bui’s career. Bui, whose background is in marketing and graphic design, said she never imagined that one day, she would own a pet business.

But that changed the day she met her dog, Benji, at the animal shelter.
“He just came towards me ... he flipped backward and let me pet him,” Bui said. “For some reason, it just clicked, and I was like, ‘This is the one.’”

Bui said soon after adopting Benji, she transformed from just a pet owner into a pet parent as Benji became a priority in her life.

When she opened Wishbone Pet Care eight years ago, Bui said she wanted to give other pet parents a safe place to drop their dog off for doggie day care, boarding and grooming. She said she does not want people to feel guilty about dropping their dog off for the day or for overnight boarding.

“I want to be able to provide my customers with what I know about my dog,” Bui said. “I'm very passionate because any customer that walks in, even though I don't know who they are...I feel like I have one connection with them already. We are both pet parents.”

Wishbone Pet Care offers all-inclusive boarding, featuring built-in play time, walks and socialization. Wishbone Pet Care also provides grooming services and dental care.

The business also sells a variety of products, including dog and cat food, treats and toys. Bui said she researches all the products she sells in her store, and nearly all of the products are from family-owned companies.

A little less than three months ago, Wishbone Pet Care moved to a bigger space in the same Missouri City strip center, where they have the capacity to keep 50-70 dogs at a time, depending on if some are a part of the same family.

Bui said Wishbone is careful to not get too big or board too many dogs at once because it is a priority that they know each dog’s name and temperament.
“It’s not easy to hand your pet to someone and feel that, ‘I’m ok,’ so we take a lot of pride in the fact that our customer allows us to be that one,” she said.

Wishbone Pet Care

4729 Hwy. 6, Missouri City

281-208-3708

www.wishbonepetcare.com

Hours: Mon.-Fri. 7:15 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

In order for your dog to stay at Wishbone Pet Care, they must:

Be in good health and not have been exposed to any contagious illnesses 30 days prior to boarding

Have proof of rabies, DHPP, Bordetella and Canine Influenza vaccines

Be flea- and tick-free

Have a meet-and-greet with staff for a temperament and health screening

SHARE THIS STORY
By Claire Shoop

Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

Prices are more of an indicator of real estate activity during the coronavirus pandemic than location or geography, a local Realtor said.
ROUNDUP: 5 recent coronavirus stories from the South Houston area readers should know

Catch up on some of the latest coronavirus updates for the South Houston area below.

The $2 trillion federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act—also known as the CARES Act—provides millions of dollars in relief to small businesses nationwide. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Fort Bend Chamber of Commerce shares information about small-business relief programs

Community Impact Newspaper sat in on the chamber's webinar in order to share answers to frequently asked questions about the CARES Act.

Volunteers unload food donations for the Montgomery County Food Bank. (Courtesy Drive West Communications)
ExxonMobil makes $250,000 donation to local food banks

The energy company said the Houston Food Bank will receive $200,000, including $50,000 in gasoline gift cards. The Montgomery County Food Bank will also receive $50,000.

(Beth Marshall/Community Impact Newspaper)
PEOPLE FEATURE: Former intern Mike Goodrum steps into Sugar Land city manager role

Formerly the city manager of Coral Springs, Florida, Goodrum got his start in city government as an intern for the Sugar Land Parks & Recreation Department.

Left to right: Salim Nathani, Noureen Nathani and Sadruddin Currimbhoy are members of Bright Offerings' board. Bright Offerings aims to economically empower people through apprenticeship programs. (Claire Shoop/Community Impact Newspaper)
NONPROFIT: Bright Offerings connects candidates to companies and colleges for apprenticeships

Bright Offerings, a Sugar Land-based nonprofit, has worked to economically empower 75 job candidates through its apprenticeship program in the past two years.

Over the last decade, Fort Bend County’s population grew from 584,699 to 811,688. (Courtesy Pexels)
Fort Bend County one of fastest-growing counties in Texas, United States last decade

In the last decade, Fort Bend County's population grew by 38.8%, making it the fifth-fastest-growing county in the state by percent growth.

The employees of The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More gather their characters together in "Animal Crossing: New Horizons." (Kate Looney/The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More)
5 recent business stories from the Houston area readers should know

Read updates on how local businesses are reacting in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Q&A: Houston-area Realtor describes changes in business during coronavirus outbreak

This is a test kit for COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (Courtesy National Institutes of Health)
UT Physicians opens coronavirus testing location in Missouri City

Individuals must have an order from their health care provider and call to make an appointment before arriving for testing.

Many renters in the Greater Houston area may be faced with struggles paying rent amid the coronavirus outbreak. There are local resources located throughout the region that can help. (Courtesy Pexels)
Struggling to pay April rent? Here are some resources in the Greater Houston area

The deadline for April rent is looming as renters—both in public and private housing—in the Greater Houston area may be struggling financially in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump signed a $2 trillion package March 27 to provide relief during the coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sen. John Cornyn discusses provisions laid out in CARES Act

The $2 trillion package provides funding to help fight the virus and to provide financial assistance for Americans during the pandemic.

Initial claims for unemployment insurance rates are increasing across the nation in the midst of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas sees 77% increase in unemployment insurance claims during week ending March 28

Texas ranked fifth among states in the U.S. with 275,597 initial claims filed the week ending March 28.