Wishbone Pet Care owner strives to provide quality services

Grooming services offered at Wishbone Pet Care include traditional baths as well as "pawdicures," mud baths and creative grooming, where groomers dye the dog's hair.
Bui screens all the products she sells in the shop in order to provide high-quality food from family-owned businesses and treats to her customers.
Becoming a pet owner 11 years ago changed the course of Tammi Bui’s career. Bui, whose background is in marketing and graphic design, said she never imagined that one day, she would own a pet business.

But that changed the day she met her dog, Benji, at the animal shelter.
“He just came towards me ... he flipped backward and let me pet him,” Bui said. “For some reason, it just clicked, and I was like, ‘This is the one.’”

Bui said soon after adopting Benji, she transformed from just a pet owner into a pet parent as Benji became a priority in her life.

When she opened Wishbone Pet Care eight years ago, Bui said she wanted to give other pet parents a safe place to drop their dog off for doggie day care, boarding and grooming. She said she does not want people to feel guilty about dropping their dog off for the day or for overnight boarding.

“I want to be able to provide my customers with what I know about my dog,” Bui said. “I'm very passionate because any customer that walks in, even though I don't know who they are...I feel like I have one connection with them already. We are both pet parents.”

Wishbone Pet Care offers all-inclusive boarding, featuring built-in play time, walks and socialization. Wishbone Pet Care also provides grooming services and dental care.

The business also sells a variety of products, including dog and cat food, treats and toys. Bui said she researches all the products she sells in her store, and nearly all of the products are from family-owned companies.

A little less than three months ago, Wishbone Pet Care moved to a bigger space in the same Missouri City strip center, where they have the capacity to keep 50-70 dogs at a time, depending on if some are a part of the same family.

Bui said Wishbone is careful to not get too big or board too many dogs at once because it is a priority that they know each dog’s name and temperament.
“It’s not easy to hand your pet to someone and feel that, ‘I’m ok,’ so we take a lot of pride in the fact that our customer allows us to be that one,” she said.

Wishbone Pet Care

4729 Hwy. 6, Missouri City

281-208-3708

www.wishbonepetcare.com

Hours: Mon.-Fri. 7:15 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-5 p.m.

In order for your dog to stay at Wishbone Pet Care, they must:

Be in good health and not have been exposed to any contagious illnesses 30 days prior to boarding

Have proof of rabies, DHPP, Bordetella and Canine Influenza vaccines

Be flea- and tick-free

Have a meet-and-greet with staff for a temperament and health screening

By Claire Shoop
Claire joined Community Impact Newspaper in September 2019 as the reporter for the Sugar Land/Missouri City edition. She graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in May 2019 where she studied journalism, government and Arabic. While in school, Claire was a fellow for The Texas Tribune, worked for the student newspaper, The Daily Texan, and spent a semester in Washington, D.C. She enjoys playing cards with her family and listening to the Boss, Bruce Springsteen.

covid 19
Fort Bend County COVID-19 cases surpass 5,000, per July 13 data

Hospitals’ intensive care beds are 92.6% occupied, according to data from the Southeast Texas Regional Advisory Council.

A Cy-Fair ISD employee distributes meals via curbside pickup for district students during the summer. (Courtesy Cy-Fair ISD)
'Community Impact Newspaper' seeks feedback and more Houston-area business, community news

Read the latest Houston-area business and community news here.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, shown here in March, announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide additional resource to help Texas combat COVID-19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Department of Defense task forces deployed to help Texas combat COVID-19

Gov. Greg Abbott announced July 13 the U.S. Department of Defense would provide more resources to Texas to combat the rise of COVID-19.

'Community Impact' now seeking feedback from parents, teachers regarding 2020-21 school year

Help us adequately cover local education by submitting feedback here:

Landscaping efforts along Texas Parkway and Cartwright Road medians have been delayed because of potential coronavirus cases among workers.  (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Possible coronavirus infections delay median enhancements on Texas Parkway, Cartwright Road in Missouri City

Landscaping efforts along Texas Parkway and Cartwright Road medians have been delayed because of potential coronavirus cases among workers.

Texas Commissioner of Education Mike Morath announced in a June 30 State Board of Education meeting that students will be taking the STAAR in the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Education organizations call for STAAR requirements to be waived another year

Gov. Greg Abbott waived the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, or STAAR, testing requirements in March of earlier this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

With a clinical background in internal, pulmonary and critical care medicine, Corry has been with BCM for 20 years. He now focuses primarily on inflammatory lung diseases, such as asthma and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. (Graphic by Ronald Winters/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Baylor College of Medicine's Dr. David Corry discusses immunity, vaccine production amid COVID-19 pandemic

Rapid development and distribution of a vaccine worldwide and successful achievement of herd immunity will be key players in determining the lifespan of the COVID-19 pandemic, said Dr. David Corry, a professor of Medicine in the Immunology, Allergy and Rheumatology Section at Baylor College of Medicine.

With 93 new coronavirus cases reported in Fort Bend County July 10, there have been a total of 4,617 cases countywide. (Community Impact Staff)
Fort Bend County July 10 coronavirus updates: 93 new cases, record number of hospitalizations

With 93 new coronavirus cases reported in Fort Bend County July 10, there have been a total of 4,617 cases countywide.

The new partnership will provide on-site, same-day testing and results for assisted-living facility staff and their residents. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
State announces partnership for increased COVID-19 testing for patients, staff at assisted-living facilities, nursing homes

These test sites will help the state work toward the goal of processing up to 100,000 tests in the first month.

Texas Medical Center reports only 4% uptick in ICU bed use despite continued COVID-19 case increases

Compared to 1,350 total intensive care units in use June 30, Texas Medical Center has seen only a slight uptick in occupancies since then, with 1,394 reported July 9.

After an eight-year teaching career, Christine Nguyen started her own bakery business—The Sweet Boutique—in Sugar Land Town Square in 2011. (Courtesy Composure Studios)
Mochi doughnuts save The Sweet Boutique in Sugar Land during coronavirus pandemic

The Sweet Boutique’s mochi doughnuts have been attracting people from as far as The Woodlands and Galveston.