As previously reported by Community Impact Newspaper, KISD students, staff, parents and community members had until Dec. 2 to give feedback on three proposed calendars for the 2022-23 school year via an online survey. As proposed, Option 1 ran Aug. 17-May 26, Option 2 ran Aug. 17-June 1, and Option 3 ran Aug. 10-May 26. While Option 1 and 2 both included 172 days, Option 3 included 170 days.
According to the survey results, of the 13,600 stakeholders who participated, roughly 61% favored calendar Option 3. That option was the one subsequently approved by the board.
The following are dates of note associated with the approved calendar.
- Aug. 1-9: Teacher in-service
- Aug. 10: First day of school
- Sept. 5: Labor Day
- Oct. 10-14: Fall break
- Oct. 17: Staff development/student holiday
- Nov. 8: Staff development/student holiday
- Nov. 21-25: Thanksgiving break
- Dec. 19-30: Winter break
- Jan. 2-3: Staff development/student holiday
- Jan. 16: Martin Luther King Jr. holiday
- Feb. 13-14: Staff development/student holiday
- Feb. 15-17: Mid-winter break
- March 13-17: Spring break
- April 7: Staff/student holiday
- April 10: Staff development/student holiday
- May 26: Last day of school
- May 30-June 1: Teacher in-service