The city of Houston will receive storm mitigation funds from the Houston-Galveston Area Council after all.

The H-GAC approved its final method of distribution during its Aug. 16 board of directors meeting for $488 million in federal funding for storm resiliency improvement projects across the cities and counties it serves. The agency unveiled its conditionally approved plan for distributing the funds in June, but the agency excluded Harris County and its local jurisdictions. Following a month of public comment that garnered 83 comments submitted by citizens, council members, city officials and mayors, the board approved a plan that sends over $10.7 million in reallocated funds to the city of Houston.

Commenters expressed concerns about the unfairness of snubbing Harris County, pointing out that the move excluded 30% of the region's population, which suffered extensive damage during Hurricane Harvey. Others expressed their support for the decision, noting that the Texas General Land Office allocated Harris County $750 million, or 61% of the $1.2 billion in available federal funding, leaving H-GAC's 12 other counties to ration out the remaining 39%.

Reallocated funds became available after the city of Manvel declined a $1.7 million allocation and Houston declined its original $9.2 million allocation. The method of distribution's reallocation methodology directs declined funds to Harris County cities and General Law cities in the region. To be eligible, cities must qualify for a minimum of $900,000 in reallocated funds. No other city received a reallocation meeting the threshold, leaving Houston the sole city eligible for the $10.7 million.

The board-approved method of distribution will be passed to the Texas GLO for approval before local governments receive the funds.

Editor's note: The H-GAC misprinted the funding amounts declined by Manvel and Houston, but the information has since been corrected.