From the First Texas PopStroke, designed by Tiger Woods, coming to Katy to Katy Mills being the future home to Texas' first construction theme park, here are the 10 most viewed stories by Katy readers in 2021 as of Dec. 30.
1. Fort Bend County announces new COVID-19 vaccination system
Fort Bend County officials announced a new registration system Feb. 26 that allowed more residents than before to sign up and be placed on a waitlist for a COVID-19 vaccine.
2. First Texas PopStroke, designed by Tiger Woods, coming to Katy
A Florida-based golf entertainment facility designed by Tiger Woods called PopStroke announced its arrival to the Katy area. PopStroke will open in 2022.
3. Fort Bend County prepares to open additional COVID-19 vaccination sites
During a Fort Bend County Commissioners Court meeting Jan. 26, Fort Bend County commissioners discussed vaccine distribution. Fort Bend County officials were preparing to open additional COVID-19 vaccination sites so the county could administer more vaccines as soon as they become available.
4. New COVID-19 vaccination site opens in Fort Bend County
According to a Missouri City press release, Fort Bend County has partnered with Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Hospital to open a drive-thru COVID-19 vaccination site at the Smart Financial Centre.
5. New large-scale multipurpose complex coming to Fort Bend County
During a Feb. 23 Fort Bend County Commissioners Court meeting, officials unanimously approved an advanced funding resolution to purchase approximately 51 acres of land that would be used for the Fort Bend Epicenter multipurpose facility. The facility will be used for trade shows and sporting events and could act as a large-scale shelter for county residents in an emergency and more.
6. Katy Mills is future home to Texas' first construction theme park
Texas’ first all-ages construction-themed adventure park is coming to Katy. Dig World will be a 3.5-acre park that will feature real, heavy construction equipment–such as excavators, skid steers, UTVs and more—for both adults and children to operate.
7. Once completed, Texas Heritage Parkway to connect I-10 to FM 1093
Construction on the $55 million Texas Heritage Parkway project connecting FM 1093 to I-10 is underway, according to Andy Meyers, Fort Bend County Precinct 3 commissioner. The project will cost $55 million, and the 6.4-mile road will have two lanes in either direction separated by a median.
8. Fort Bend County preps more vaccination sites; work begins on Texas Heritage Highway in Katy and more top news
The most popular news from the week in the Houston area included Farm Stores coming to Katy and Fort Bend County preparing to open additional COVID-19 vaccination sites.
9. Sam's Club, Walmart offering vaccines statewide; H-E-B coming to Magnolia and other top Houston-area news
The most popular news from the week in the Houston area included construction continuing on Boardwalk Lofts, an apartment complex located at 122 Lakeview Way, Katy.
10. New El Tiempo Cantina location coming to Katy
El Tiempo Cantina announced the opening of a new location at 20095 Katy Freeway, Katy.