Enrollment in pre-K and kindergarten fell shortest of projections in 2020-21 among all CFISD grade levels, according to district data. Officials said as of March 1, pre-K and kindergarten enrollment were still 22.6% and 7.9% lower, respectively, than fall semester projections.
“We are optimistic that our enrollment will recover completely, but we feel a continued conservative approach for enrollment projections is best,” said Laura Lawless, CFISD assistant director of boundary projections and planning, at a March 8 school board meeting.
Bevin Gordon, district director of marketing and business relations, said CFISD launched a pre-K marketing plan in January to recruit families through flyers, videos, social media graphics and advertisements on school buses.
Pre-K students looking to register must be age 4 by Sept. 1 and be at least one of the following: an English language learner; economically disadvantaged; homeless; the child of an active duty member of the armed forces; or a member of the foster care system. See the full list of eligibility criteria here.
Kindergarten registration only requires children to be age 5 by Sept. 1.
Parents or guardians can register online at www.cfisd.net/cfisdregister, and they will be asked to provide the following documents:
- A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate from the Bureau of Vital Statistics;
- A current immunization records;
- A government-issued photo ID for the child’s parent or legal guardian;
- Proof of residency in a current lease for renters or Harris County Appraisal District records, a mortgage statement or closing documents for homeowners and a current gas, water or light bill; and
- A Social Security card for each child, if available.