To honor the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr., the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas will waive day-use fees on Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Jan. 20 for several parks, including Sam Houston National Forest, according to a press release.
Although camping fees will be in effect, the fees will be waived at the following locations:
- Angelina National Forest: Caney Creek and Townsend
- Sabine National Forest: Haley’s Ferry, East Hamilton, Indian Mounds, Lakeview and Willow Oak
- Davy Crockett National Forest: Ratcliff Lake and Piney Creek Horse Trail
- Sam Houston National Forest: Double Lake, Stubblefield, Cagle boat ramp, Scotts Ridge boat ramp and the Multi-Use Trail
- Caddo and Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands: Coffee Mill Lake, East Lake Crockett, Black Creek Lake
“Martin Luther King, Jr. was a pivotal figure in the Civil Rights Movement and his leadership inspired men and women, young and old, in this nation and around the world,” said Eddie Taylor, the forest supervisor for the National Forests and Grasslands in Texas, in the press release. “We hope you take this opportunity to visit the great outdoors to help make your Martin Luther King, Jr. Day more memorable.”
For more information, go to www.fs.usda.gov/texas.