Montgomery City Council rejects development variances over water debate

Montgomery City Council considered two variances for Promocon USA LLC. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

Montgomery City Council rejected a variance request from developer Promocon USA LLC due to the ongoing confusion surrounding water service.

At its regular meeting Feb. 25, the council considered getting an opinion from the planning and zoning committee on two variances requested by Promocon. Promocon’s proposed project is for 168 single-family homes on Old Dobbin Plantersville Road. Its two variances would allow it to build lots of 50 feet wide and with a minimum size of 6,000 square feet, as opposed to the required 75 feet and 9,000 square feet. Council first heard an economic study about the development Oct. 9.

Council Member Rebecca Huss said she opposed considering any variances for the development until the city had a clear picture of what services the residents would receive from the city. Although the developer wants the area annexed by the city, it is outside of the city’s limit for providing water and would be served by the Dobbin-Plantersville Water Supply Co.

“All of these variances aside, to me the most important issue is that I am not going to be comfortable with this subdivision under any circumstances unless they come to the city ... where the city is the water provider,” Huss said.

Huss argued the city had a “moral” obligation to serve the residents of this proposed development, and the separate water providers create logistical problems if there is an issue with the water or for providing sewage, which the city would have to provide if the development is annexed. The city currently creates its sewer rates based on how much water it provides to a home.

Council did not vote on the issue, but City Administrator Richard Tramm said he would discuss the water rates with the developer.

By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The Montgomery ISD board of trustees met Jan. 19. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD adopts first legislative platform

“In any year, the stakes are high for public education,” MISD Director of Communications Justin Marino said.

The Conroe ISD board of trustees met Jan. 19 for its regular monthly meeting. (Screenshot via Conroe ISD YouTube)
Conroe ISD board approves Caney Creek attendance boundary changes, 2021-22 calendar

Board members also approved spending for 20 replacement school buses and annual safety and security projects.

Several bills have been filed pertaining to remote learning. (Courtesy Canva)
Remote learning plans for 2021-22 uncertain for Conroe, Montgomery, Willis ISDs

District data shows that an increasing number of students are choosing to attend in person.

In addition to vaccine hubs, there are also smaller community vaccine providers throughout Texas, such as pharmacies, that may also have the vaccine available. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
EXPLAINED: When, where and how Texans can receive the COVID-19 vaccine

As Texas is still in the early stages of rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine, many Texans are still unsure about, where, when and how they can get inoculated.

Steve Hoffart, owner of Magnolia Pharmacy, hopes to be chosen as one of the county's five vaccination hubs. Lone Star Family Health Center in Conroe has already been selected as a vaccination hub provider, and the center began mass-administering doses at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds Jan. 20. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County poised for COVID-19 vaccine rollout

One vaccination hub is now open, but appointments filled up within minutes. Here's what we know about the county's distribution plan.

The barbecue eatery is the second Killen's Restaurant Group venture to launch in The Woodlands area. (Courtesy Killen's Barbecue)
Killen's Barbecue opens in The Woodlands and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

Montgomery County continues to see new daily highs in active COVID-19 case counts as hospitalizations rise. (Community Impact staff)
Montgomery County COVID-19 total case count increases to over 34,000; active case count decreases by 1,500

The total COVID-19 case count across Montgomery County has surpassed 34,000.

The board of trustees will meet at 6 p.m. Jan. 19. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD gathering community input for district goals

The goals are to improve in the following areas: academic achievement, safety, finance and operations, human capital, and communications and customer service.

Feeding Texas hosted a Jan. 19 webinar to discuss legislative highlights for the 87th Texas Legislature. (Screenshot courtesy Feeding Texas)
Food insecurity in Texas' 87th Legislature: Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas to propose legislation addressing hunger

Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas hosted a webinar Jan. 19 to discuss increasing funding and accessibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in the 87th legislative session.

Grand Central Park is located at I-45 North and South Loop 336. (Courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Grand Central Park in Conroe opens 148 homesites

New, move-in ready homes are currently under construction.

COVID-19 vaccines
DATA: Texas has vaccinated about 9% of estimated Phase 1 recipients

Over 1.1 million individuals from the Phase 1 population, which is estimated to include 13.5 million individuals total, have received at least one dose.