Montgomery City Council rejects development variances over water debate

Montgomery City Council considered two variances for Promocon USA LLC. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

Montgomery City Council rejected a variance request from developer Promocon USA LLC due to the ongoing confusion surrounding water service.

At its regular meeting Feb. 25, the council considered getting an opinion from the planning and zoning committee on two variances requested by Promocon. Promocon’s proposed project is for 168 single-family homes on Old Dobbin Plantersville Road. Its two variances would allow it to build lots of 50 feet wide and with a minimum size of 6,000 square feet, as opposed to the required 75 feet and 9,000 square feet. Council first heard an economic study about the development Oct. 9.

Council Member Rebecca Huss said she opposed considering any variances for the development until the city had a clear picture of what services the residents would receive from the city. Although the developer wants the area annexed by the city, it is outside of the city’s limit for providing water and would be served by the Dobbin-Plantersville Water Supply Co.

“All of these variances aside, to me the most important issue is that I am not going to be comfortable with this subdivision under any circumstances unless they come to the city ... where the city is the water provider,” Huss said.

Huss argued the city had a “moral” obligation to serve the residents of this proposed development, and the separate water providers create logistical problems if there is an issue with the water or for providing sewage, which the city would have to provide if the development is annexed. The city currently creates its sewer rates based on how much water it provides to a home.

Council did not vote on the issue, but City Administrator Richard Tramm said he would discuss the water rates with the developer.

SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

(Kaitlin Schmidt/Community Impact Newspaper)
ROUNDUP: 5 recent coronavirus stories from the North Houston area readers should know

Catch up on some of the latest coronavirus updates for the North Houston area below.

Houston Airport System officials expect March passenger data to be significantly lower than in other months. Foot traffic at IAH was light March 24. (Emily Heineman/Community Impact Newspaper)
TSA limits checkpoints at George Bush Intercontinental Airport; Houston Airport System expects significant decline in March passengers

With low passenger travel amid the coronavirus pandemic, Transportation Security Administration checkpoints at George Bush Intercontinental Airport have been consolidated to make better use of resources and personnel, Houston Airport System officials said.

Volunteers unload food donations for the Montgomery County Food Bank. (Courtesy Drive West Communications)
ExxonMobil makes $250,000 donation to local food banks

The energy company said the Houston Food Bank will receive $200,000, including $50,000 in gasoline gift cards. The Montgomery County Food Bank will also receive $50,000.

All nonessential businesses throughout the county, including in downtown Conroe, have been closed. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
PHOTOS: Scenes of Montgomery County as residents deal with stay-at-home order

The ongoing coronavirus outbreak and Montgomery County Judge Mark Keough's stay-at-home order, effective March 27 through April 30, have replaced residents on the streets of one of the fastest growing areas in the country with silence.

Lone Star College is providing tips for parents and students adapting to online learning. (Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College offers online learning tips for parents

Lone Star College is providing tips for parents and students adapting to online learning.

The Texas Torque team is planning to produce hundreds of face shields for medical personnel. (Courtesy Scott Rippetoe)
Conroe ISD robotics team joins national effort to produce medical protective gear

The Woodlands-based Texas Torque is working to provide hundreds of face shields to health care providers.

‘I’m trying to stay alive’: Inside the life of an immunocompromised Conroe resident during coronavirus

Susan Brassard said her surgery has been temporarily cancelled because of coronavirus. But the longer she waits, the more worries she gets.

The employees of The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More gather their characters together in "Animal Crossing: New Horizons." (Kate Looney/The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More)
5 recent business stories from the Houston area readers should know

Read updates on how local businesses are reacting in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Many renters in the Greater Houston area may be faced with struggles paying rent amid the coronavirus outbreak. There are local resources located throughout the region that can help. (Courtesy Pexels)
Struggling to pay April rent? Here are some resources in the Greater Houston area

The deadline for April rent is looming as renters—both in public and private housing—in the Greater Houston area may be struggling financially in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.

President Donald Trump signed a $2 trillion package March 27 to provide relief during the coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Sen. John Cornyn discusses provisions laid out in CARES Act

The $2 trillion package provides funding to help fight the virus and to provide financial assistance for Americans during the pandemic.

Initial claims for unemployment insurance rates are increasing across the nation in the midst of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas sees 77% increase in unemployment insurance claims during week ending March 28

Texas ranked fifth among states in the U.S. with 275,597 initial claims filed the week ending March 28.

The Lone Star College Small Business Development Center is located in the Lone Star College System Building. (Photo by Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College Small Business Development Center offers free webinar for guidance on business loans

Webinars are available to help small businesses out from the Lone Star College Small Business Development Center.