Montgomery celebrates the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Chauncy Glover (center) accepts an award from Ann and T.J. Wilkerson. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

Chauncy Glover spoke on the celebration's theme of building bridges. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Student Madlyn Chamberson previously received a scholarship from the nonprofit and sang at the celebration. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Sister Katherine Houston was one of the several performers at the event. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Lake Creek High School choir sang three songs. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Praise Dancers performed to a Spanish worship song. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

In both speech and song, the Montgomery area gathered Jan. 20 to celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Organized by local nonprofit Dr. MLK Jr. Community Improvement Organization, the seventh annual Community Celebration featured various performers, including the Lake Creek High School choir, singer Sister Katherine Houston and the Praise Dancers.

Council Member T.J. Wilkerson introduced keynote speaker Chauncy Glover, an ABC-13 news anchor and reporter who created the Chauncy Glover Project, a mentoring program "for inner-city teenage boys," according to the group’s website. Wilkerson highlighted “honor, integrity, morality, restraint and discipline.”

Glover said although the black community has come a long way, there is still much work to be done to improve racial equality in the country and in the local community.

“The black male graduation rate here in Texas is at 65% when it is over 85% for our counterparts,” Glover said. “But there’s another side of this. ... We need more young men enrolled in college than incarcerated.”

The organization also gives scholarships to local young adults. Brinelle Lewis and Madlyn Chamberson both thanked the organization and the community for their support.

“If you have a dream, go after it because hard work, dedication, sacrifice and most importantly prayer changes you,” Lewis said.

The event was attended by various elected officials, including Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Wayne Mack, Montgomery Mayor Sara Countryman, Montgomery City Administrator Richard Tramm and Council Member Rebecca Huss. Wilkerson and his wife, Ann Wilkerson, are also members of the Community Improvement Organization.

SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

The annual National Madley Gallery is held March 5-28 at 127 Simonton Street, Conroe. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Conroe Art League gains national prominence

The annual National Madley Gallery is held March 5-28 at 127 Simonton Street.

More than 20,000 Montgomery County residents have voted early since polls opened Feb. 18. (Courtesy Folio)
Montgomery County early voting turnout not on pace to meet 2016 rate

Local turnout appears to be falling below 2016 levels halfway through the county's early voting period.

doctor stock image adobe
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic to acquire Conroe Family Medicine

The location will be renamed Kelsey-Seybold Clinic – Conroe and will serve as the 24th Kelsey-Seybold location in the Greater Houston area.

Gil Staley, CEO of The Woodlands Economic Development Partnership, discusses changes in employment sectors in The Woodlands at the Economic Outlook Conference. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Economic Outlook Conference takeaways: Health care now top employer in The Woodlands

Health care has risen to the position of top employment sector in The Woodlands region, overtaking energy.

Wendy Graves, assistant superintendent of elementary education, addresses the Montgomery ISD board of trustees Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD plans for state-mandated Texas Reading Academies

All teachers and principals who serve kindergarten through third-grade students must begin Texas Reading Academies training before the 2022-23 school year.

The special meeting Feb. 20 lasted nearly five hours. (Trevor Nolley/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Jacinto River Authority votes to continue Lake Conroe lowering with modifications

The board ultimately voted to change fall lowering while keeping spring lowering the same.

The Cottage Green will open in fall 2020. (Rendering courtesy Palmetto MDR)
The Cottage Green to create rental community in Conroe

The 197 cottage-style homes are available for both downsizers and young people.

Jordan Brooks, market specialist at ALN Apartment Data, speaks at the Houston Apartment Association’s Montgomery County State of the Submarket Breakfast on Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Moderate growth in apartment rent, occupancy on Montgomery County's horizon

Experts: County well-positioned for moderate rent growth, average to above-average apartment occupancy for 2020 and 2021

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

Lone Star College System has $185 million remaining from its 2014 bond referendum. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College System updates 2014 bond project progress

Lone Star College System continues to make improvements to campuses through an $485 million bond that passed in 2014.

Conroe ISD trustee John Husbands voiced many concerns about the district's rezoning plan. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Rezoning of The Woodlands, College Park feeder zones fails to pass at Conroe ISD board meeting

The vote resulted in a tie, which meant the proposed rezoning failed.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high-speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

Back to top