Montgomery celebrates the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Chauncy Glover (center) accepts an award from Ann and T.J. Wilkerson. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

Chauncy Glover spoke on the celebration's theme of building bridges. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Student Madlyn Chamberson previously received a scholarship from the nonprofit and sang at the celebration. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Sister Katherine Houston was one of the several performers at the event. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Lake Creek High School choir sang three songs. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Praise Dancers performed to a Spanish worship song. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

In both speech and song, the Montgomery area gathered Jan. 20 to celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Organized by local nonprofit Dr. MLK Jr. Community Improvement Organization, the seventh annual Community Celebration featured various performers, including the Lake Creek High School choir, singer Sister Katherine Houston and the Praise Dancers.

Council Member T.J. Wilkerson introduced keynote speaker Chauncy Glover, an ABC-13 news anchor and reporter who created the Chauncy Glover Project, a mentoring program "for inner-city teenage boys," according to the group’s website. Wilkerson highlighted “honor, integrity, morality, restraint and discipline.”

Glover said although the black community has come a long way, there is still much work to be done to improve racial equality in the country and in the local community.

“The black male graduation rate here in Texas is at 65% when it is over 85% for our counterparts,” Glover said. “But there’s another side of this. ... We need more young men enrolled in college than incarcerated.”

The organization also gives scholarships to local young adults. Brinelle Lewis and Madlyn Chamberson both thanked the organization and the community for their support.

“If you have a dream, go after it because hard work, dedication, sacrifice and most importantly prayer changes you,” Lewis said.

The event was attended by various elected officials, including Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Wayne Mack, Montgomery Mayor Sara Countryman, Montgomery City Administrator Richard Tramm and Council Member Rebecca Huss. Wilkerson and his wife, Ann Wilkerson, are also members of the Community Improvement Organization.

By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

The Montgomery ISD board of trustees met Jan. 19. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD adopts first legislative platform

“In any year, the stakes are high for public education,” MISD Director of Communications Justin Marino said.

The Conroe ISD board of trustees met Jan. 19 for its regular monthly meeting. (Screenshot via Conroe ISD YouTube)
Conroe ISD board approves Caney Creek attendance boundary changes, 2021-22 calendar

Board members also approved spending for 20 replacement school buses and annual safety and security projects.

Several bills have been filed pertaining to remote learning. (Courtesy Canva)
Remote learning plans for 2021-22 uncertain for Conroe, Montgomery, Willis ISDs

District data shows that an increasing number of students are choosing to attend in person.

In addition to vaccine hubs, there are also smaller community vaccine providers throughout Texas, such as pharmacies, that may also have the vaccine available. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
EXPLAINED: When, where and how Texans can receive the COVID-19 vaccine

As Texas is still in the early stages of rolling out the COVID-19 vaccine, many Texans are still unsure about, where, when and how they can get inoculated.

Steve Hoffart, owner of Magnolia Pharmacy, hopes to be chosen as one of the county's five vaccination hubs. Lone Star Family Health Center in Conroe has already been selected as a vaccination hub provider, and the center began mass-administering doses at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds Jan. 20. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery County poised for COVID-19 vaccine rollout

One vaccination hub is now open, but appointments filled up within minutes. Here's what we know about the county's distribution plan.

The barbecue eatery is the second Killen's Restaurant Group venture to launch in The Woodlands area. (Courtesy Killen's Barbecue)
Killen's Barbecue opens in The Woodlands and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

Montgomery County continues to see new daily highs in active COVID-19 case counts as hospitalizations rise. (Community Impact staff)
Montgomery County COVID-19 total case count increases to over 34,000; active case count decreases by 1,500

The total COVID-19 case count across Montgomery County has surpassed 34,000.

The board of trustees will meet at 6 p.m. Jan. 19. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD gathering community input for district goals

The goals are to improve in the following areas: academic achievement, safety, finance and operations, human capital, and communications and customer service.

Feeding Texas hosted a Jan. 19 webinar to discuss legislative highlights for the 87th Texas Legislature. (Screenshot courtesy Feeding Texas)
Food insecurity in Texas' 87th Legislature: Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas to propose legislation addressing hunger

Hunger relief organization Feeding Texas hosted a webinar Jan. 19 to discuss increasing funding and accessibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program in the 87th legislative session.

Grand Central Park is located at I-45 North and South Loop 336. (Courtesy Kaplan Public Relations)
Grand Central Park in Conroe opens 148 homesites

New, move-in ready homes are currently under construction.

COVID-19 vaccines
DATA: Texas has vaccinated about 9% of estimated Phase 1 recipients

Over 1.1 million individuals from the Phase 1 population, which is estimated to include 13.5 million individuals total, have received at least one dose.