Montgomery celebrates the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Chauncy Glover (center) accepts an award from Ann and T.J. Wilkerson. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

Chauncy Glover spoke on the celebration's theme of building bridges. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Student Madlyn Chamberson previously received a scholarship from the nonprofit and sang at the celebration. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
Sister Katherine Houston was one of the several performers at the event. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Lake Creek High School choir sang three songs. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)
The Praise Dancers performed to a Spanish worship song. (Andy Li/Community Impact Newspaper)

In both speech and song, the Montgomery area gathered Jan. 20 to celebrate the life and legacy of Martin Luther King Jr.

Organized by local nonprofit Dr. MLK Jr. Community Improvement Organization, the seventh annual Community Celebration featured various performers, including the Lake Creek High School choir, singer Sister Katherine Houston and the Praise Dancers.

Council Member T.J. Wilkerson introduced keynote speaker Chauncy Glover, an ABC-13 news anchor and reporter who created the Chauncy Glover Project, a mentoring program "for inner-city teenage boys," according to the group’s website. Wilkerson highlighted “honor, integrity, morality, restraint and discipline.”

Glover said although the black community has come a long way, there is still much work to be done to improve racial equality in the country and in the local community.

“The black male graduation rate here in Texas is at 65% when it is over 85% for our counterparts,” Glover said. “But there’s another side of this. ... We need more young men enrolled in college than incarcerated.”

The organization also gives scholarships to local young adults. Brinelle Lewis and Madlyn Chamberson both thanked the organization and the community for their support.

“If you have a dream, go after it because hard work, dedication, sacrifice and most importantly prayer changes you,” Lewis said.

The event was attended by various elected officials, including Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Wayne Mack, Montgomery Mayor Sara Countryman, Montgomery City Administrator Richard Tramm and Council Member Rebecca Huss. Wilkerson and his wife, Ann Wilkerson, are also members of the Community Improvement Organization.

SHARE THIS STORY
By Andy Li

Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now covers the Conroe Independent School District, Montgomery City Council and transportation.

Initial claims for unemployment insurance rates are increasing across the nation in the midst of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Texas sees 77% increase in unemployment insurance claims during week ending March 28

Texas ranked fifth among states in the U.S. with 275,597 initial claims filed the week ending March 28.

The Lone Star College Small Business Development Center is located in the Lone Star College System Building. (Photo by Andrew Christman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College Small Business Development Center offers free webinar for guidance on business loans

Webinars are available to help small businesses out from the Lone Star College Small Business Development Center.

The employees of The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More gather their characters together in "Animal Crossing: New Horizons." (Kate Looney/The Adventure Begins Comics, Games & More)
Gaming stores create virtual connection during coronavirus outbreak

“They’re family. It’s more of a community than it is a job a lot of the times,” Looney said.

Here is what to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus. (Courtesy Fotolia)
FAQ: Paying bills in the time of coronavirus

What to know about rent, mortgages and utility bills during the coronavirus

Texas Tribune: Some local elections in Texas moving ahead despite coronavirus spread

A handful of towns and special districts still plan to go ahead with their May 2 votes, arranging polling places despite calls from the president on down directing people to stay at home to prevent the spread of the deadly virus.

Lake Travis Fire Rescue is one of hundreds of emergency service districts serving millions of Texas residents across the state. Firefighters, EMTs and medical professionals said they are concerned about the availability of personal protective equipment as the coronavirus public health crisis continues. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
First responders, medical professionals across Texas worry about inadequate personal protective equipment supplies

In a survey of emergency service districts across the state, two-thirds of respondents said they were concerned about a shortage of equipment such as masks, goggles and gloves.

Montgomery County ranks No. 9 among the fastest-growing counties in Texas, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. (Courtesy Flourish)
U.S. Census: Montgomery County ninth-fastest-growing county in Texas

The county’s population grew 3% from July 1, 2018, to July 1, 2019, increasing from 589,770 to 607,391.

Superintendent Curtis Null explained that proms have been canceled, but seniors are still expected to graduate on time. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Conroe ISD lays out changes during extended closure

Superintendent Curtis Null explained that proms have been canceled, but seniors are still expected to graduate on time.

America's ER has opened a cash-only, drive-thru testing site at Stonebridge Church, located at 1 Stonebridge Church Drive, The Woodlands. (Courtesy National Institutes of Health)
UPDATED: Health officials clarify private coronavirus testing facilities subject to different guidelines

America's ER has opened a cash-only, drive-thru testing site at Stonebridge Church.

Conroe and Willis ISDs will keep their schools closed until May 4. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Conroe, Montgomery and Willis ISDs extend school closures through May 4

CISD Superintendent Curtis Null said the district will continue to communicate changes as they come and to provide distance learning and distribute meals as planned.

(Kaitlin Schmidt/Community Impact Newspaper)
'When home is not your safe place': Domestic violence cases jump 35% in Montgomery County during coronavirus

Victims now have limited resources and safe places to turn to, which makes leaving an abuser even more risky.

Patrick Jankowski projects more than 150,000 regional job losses due to the coronavirus. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
Houston economist predicts more than 150,000 job losses this year due to coronavirus

While sectors that are considered nonessential and cannot deliver their goods and services remotely are most at risk, the economist said all jobs are on the line if the shutdown continues after May.