Project to widen Wilson Road now complete

The project is outlined in orange. (Kaitlin Schmidt, Community Impact Newspaper)

Contractor Triple B Services has completed the final stage of widening Wilson Road and adding traffic signals at its intersection with Frazier Street. The project is pending final closing documents and cleanup before being officially completed, as of early November.

Timeline: April 16, 2018-Sept. 5, 2019

Cost: $4.8 million

Funding source: city of Conroe
By Andy Li
Originally from Boone, North Carolina, Andy Li is a graduate of East Carolina University with degrees in Communication with a concentration in Journalism and Political Science. While in school, he worked as a performing arts reporter, news, arts and copy editor and a columnist at the campus newspaper, The East Carolinian. He also had the privilege to work with NPR’s Next Generation Radio, a project for student journalists exploring radio news. Moving to Houston in May 2019, he now works as the reporter for the Conroe/Montgomery edition of Community Impact Newspaper.

Attendees sample a wide variety of global wines and cuisine during Wine & Food Week. (Courtesy Food & Vine Time Productions)
Wine & Food Week returns to The Woodlands and more news from the Houston area

Read business and community news from the Houston area.

The number of deaths reported has been declining for the past three week, according to the Texas Medical Center. (Community Impact staff)
Texas Medical Center: COVID-19 hospitalizations down 10% since Aug. 3

The number of deaths reported has been declining for the past three week, according to the Texas Medical Center.

The county's active case count fell to its lowest level in weeks, while resident deaths continue to rise. (Community Impact staff)
Five COVID-19 deaths reported in Montgomery County on Aug. 7; active case count continues to fall

The county's active case count fell to its lowest level in weeks, while resident deaths continue to rise.

A mother and daughter visit at Seasons Assisted Living & Memory Care in Conroe earlier in the pandemic. (Courtesy Seasons Assisted Living & Memory Care)
Texas allows limited visitations to nursing homes, long-term care facilities

Facilities that meet the requirements will allow limited visitations, but you still will not be able to hug or kiss your loved one.

HomeAid Houston partnered with Boys and Girls Country to open three cottages in Hockley. (Courtesy Boys and Girls Country)
Builders partner to serve homeless population through nonprofit HomeAid Houston

Since launching in 2003, the organization has helped provide 20,000 beds for homeless individuals in the Houston area.

Montgomery County saw a sharp decrease in its population of people experiencing homelessness. (Kaitlin Schmidt/Community Impact Newspaper)
DATA: Here's a breakdown of the homelesss population in Montgomery County

The coalition counted 145 people on its annual count, a 51% decrease from the 298 counted in 2019.

The 2020 U.S. census response rate is already lagging behind 2010 numbers, and officials said the shortened timeline only increases the chances of an undercount. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Shortened census timeline could shortchange Houston, its most vulnerable communities

The 2020 U.S. census response rate is already lagging behind 2010 numbers, and officials said the shortened timeline only increases the chances of an undercount.

The farm-to-table restaurant plans to create 90 jobs and offer familiar American meals. (Courtesy Whiskey Cake)
Whiskey Cake restaurant to open in The Woodlands and more Houston-area news

Read the latest business and community news from the Houston area.

The Montgomery ISD board of trustees met Aug. 4. Attendees were spaced apart and wore masks. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Montgomery ISD approves phased reopening; nearly 2,000 students in need of laptops

About 373 students do not have internet and 1,833 are in need of a laptop, survey results show.

Wings Over Montgomery will open in September in downtown Montgomery. (Courtesy Wings Over Montgomery)
ROUNDUP: 7 businesses, restaurants now open, coming to or relocating in the Lake Conroe area

Businesses include Wings Over Montgomery, K. Innovations and Lake Conroe Christian Academy.