US Census Bureau: Montgomery County sees growth of more than 130,000 people since 2010

The U.S. Census Bureau released new data April 18 ranking Fort Bend County within the top 10 counties in percentage growth.

While more than half of the 3,142 counties in the U.S. lost population from 2010-18, Montgomery County is one of the 1,481 counties that gained population in those eight years, according to estimates released by the U.S. Census Bureau on April 18. Montgomery County experienced a 28.6% population increase from 2010-18, ranking the No. 11 most populous county in Texas out of 254 counties.

With an estimated population of 590,925 in July 2018 compared to 459,210 in July 2010, this marks a population growth of 131,715 people in less than a decade, census data shows. Montgomery County had a population of 572,146 in July 2017 and 555,703 in July 2016.

The Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land metropolitan area ranks No. 5 in most populous metropolitan areas, with an estimated population of 6,997,384 as of July 2018, a 1.3% population increase from July 2017.

SHARE THIS STORY
By Kara McIntyre

Kara started with Community Impact Newspaper as the summer intern for the south Houston office in June 2018 after graduating with a bachelor's degree in mass communication from Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, Texas. She became the Tomball/Magnolia reporter in September 2018. Prior to CI, Kara served as the editor-in-chief of The Wichitan—Midwestern State University's student-run campus newspaper—and interned with both the Wichita Adult Literacy Council and VeepWorks.

Lone Star College-Kingwood will break ground March 2 on the new Lone Star Health Professions Center. (Courtesy Lone Star College-Kingwood)
Lone Star College-Kingwood to break ground on new health professions center

Lone Star College-Kingwood will break ground March 2 on the new Lone Star Health Professions Center, which will be the home of five different health-related industries beginning in fall 2021.

Early voting is underway in Harris County for the March 2020 primary elections. (Matt Dulin/Community Impact Newspaper)
Voter turnout starts strong in Harris County primary elections

The early voting period runs through Feb. 28.

More than 20,000 Montgomery County residents have voted early since polls opened Feb. 18. (Courtesy Folio)
Montgomery County early voting turnout not on pace to meet 2016 rate

Local turnout appears to be falling below 2016 levels halfway through the county's early voting period.

Houston's first chief transportation officer will help the city coordinate its urban planning efforts with other agencies such as the Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, the Houston-Galveston Area Council and the Texas Department of Transportation. (Courtesy Visit Houston)
Shifting focus from car culture, Houston hires first chief transportation planner

Houston's first chief transportation officer will help the city shift its focus from car-centric urban planning.

The special meeting Feb. 20 lasted nearly five hours. (Trevor Nolley/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Jacinto River Authority votes to continue Lake Conroe lowering with modifications

The board ultimately voted to change fall lowering while keeping spring lowering the same.

Levitated Metals will open in September in the East Montgomery County Industrial Park. (Courtesy East Montgomery County Improvement District)
Levitated Metals to bring specialty recycling to East Montgomery County Industrial Park

Levitated Metals, a specialty metal recycling company, broke ground Jan. 15 on its manufacturing facility at 18920 Celia Way, New Caney, in the East Montgomery County Industrial Park.

Jordan Brooks, market specialist at ALN Apartment Data, speaks at the Houston Apartment Association’s Montgomery County State of the Submarket Breakfast on Feb. 18. (Eva Vigh/Community Impact Newspaper)
Moderate growth in apartment rent, occupancy on Montgomery County's horizon

Experts: County well-positioned for moderate rent growth, average to above-average apartment occupancy for 2020 and 2021

Cheetos Cheese Pickles from Biggy's (Courtesy Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo)
Cheetos cheese pickles, mac and cheese eggrolls, deep-fried cheesecake: 93 food spots to try during the 2020 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

From tried and true to something new, the food options at this year's Rodeo include classic staples and crazy concoctions.

Lone Star College System has $185 million remaining from its 2014 bond referendum. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lone Star College System updates 2014 bond project progress

Lone Star College System continues to make improvements to campuses through an $485 million bond that passed in 2014.

Early voting begins Feb. 18 in the 2020 Texas primary. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Primary election Q&A: 2 Republicans vie for state District 127 representative

Two candidates are vying for a place as the Republican candidate for state representative for District 127 in the March 3 primary election, including incumbent Dan Huberty and Dwight Ford.

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas. The Shinkansen trains in Japan will be customized for Texas with no middle seats and additional legroom, company officials announced. (Courtesy Texas Central)
JUST IN: Texas Central gives first glimpse of high-speed train car interior

Texas Central officials announced interior plans Feb. 17 for the company's proposed high-speed train connecting Houston and Dallas.

Feb. 14 was the deadline to apply to run for three Humble City Council positions. (Kelly Schafler/Community Impact Newspaper)
Steagall not seeking re-election; three candidates to vie for Humble City Council seat

Three candidates are in the running for a Humble City Council position, which is currently held by Allan Steagall, a multiterm incumbent who is not seeking re-election in the May 2 general election.

Back to top