Prosper Town Council members approved a resolution Aug. 8 scheduling a town hall meeting on the fiscal year 2023-24 budget for Aug. 31. Council is scheduled to vote on the budget during its 6:15 p.m. meeting Sept. 12.
The Sept. 12 meeting will also feature public hearings on the town's property tax rate and budget as well as a chance for council members to change anything in the budget before their vote.
What you need to know
Budget items expected to be discussed at the future meetings include:
- A proposed $48.91 million general fund budget
- Notable general fund items, including an additional $2.37 million for additional staff to support Prosper's stratified policing model, an additional $117,926 for the fire department’s emergency management and nearly 30 new positions across multiple city departments
- A combined water and wastewater rate increase of 7% due to cost increases from the town’s water supplier and the planned expansion of a wastewater treatment facility; this is the first rate increase for Prosper since 2019, according to a meeting presentation
- Projected debt funding for the next five years
- The proposed property tax rate of $0.51 per $100 valuation
- The acceleration of infrastructure
- The development of Downtown Prosper as a destination
- Ensuring the town’s commercial corridors are ready for development
- Continuing to provide excellence in municipal services
- Working toward a growing and diversified tax base
Prosper residents unable to attend in person can watch a livestream of the meeting on the town's website.
Editor's note: This story has been updated. The budget includes additional staff to support Prosper’s stratified policing model, and a combined water and wastewater rate increase of 7% due to cost increases from the town’s water supplier and the planned expansion of a wastewater treatment facility.