Developer breaks ground on new brownstones

Second phase of post-World War I styled units start at $975,000, condos also planned

The second phase of new upscale housing is beginning to take shape in Southlake Town Square starting with 31 new brownstones built in a "post-World War I" style in the Garden District development.

The Garden District is the residential component of the Southlake Town Square mixed-use development. The new brownstones are a continuation of the first phase of brownstones which began in 2006 and consist of 43 units.

"The difference in the look between the new brownstones and the existing brownstones is that the new ones will be in a 'post-World War I' look where the original ones are 'pre-World War I' look," Chris Machold, sales associate for the Garden District, said. "The difference being the slanted roof lines, the dorm room windows, and you have these neat little porches on the front with terraces on the second floor."

Construction on the second phase of brownstones started the first week of December.

According to Machold, the second phase of brownstones will have a total of 31 units. There will be 19 units on Meeting Street and nine on Park Ridge Boulevard. In addition, there are three custom brownstones that do not yet have a specific plan.

The first building in the second phase to go up will be near the intersection of Federal Way and Central Avenue. One of the units in that building will be held by the developer to use as a model home and business center.

The brownstones on Meeting Street will range in size from 2,391–3,920 square feet. The brownstones on Park Ridge will range from 4,934–5,041 square feet. The starting price of a brownstone is $975,000.

"The brownstones on Park Ridge Boulevard is what we are calling a 'game changer,'" Machold said. "The original brownstones are about 25 feet wide, the ones on Meeting Street are 26 feet wide, [developers] have completely redesigned floor plans. But the ones on Park Ridge Boulevard are about 35 feet wide and about 85 feet deep."

The homes on Park Ridge Boulevard are built on a grade that allows them to have a first floor five-car garage and three floors of living space, which includes five bedrooms, five full and one half bathrooms and an optional elevator.

Machold expects the first residents will begin to move into the development by late summer of 2015.

Parkview Condos

In addition to the planned 31 brownstones, Cooper and Stebbins is planning to construct four condominium buildings in the same area.

The first building in the Parkview Residences is planned to have 38 units on five floors. As it is planned today, the rear of the building will face the parking garage next to Harkins Theater and will sit on land that is currently a parking lot. The condos will range in size from 1,525–3,390 square feet and have an anticipated starting price of $500,000. Amenities include a rooftop lounge with fire pits, grills and plunge pools.

However, the building does not have a tentative construction start date.

When Cooper and Stebbins applied for the building permits for the condos in 2013, the Southlake City Council received a large number of emails and messages opposing the condos in the days leading up to approval.

Residents went as far as starting Facebook pages to help spread word about the opposition. The main concern residents cited is many believed the condos would be similar to high-density apartments.

Many owners from the existing brownstones spoke in favor of the project because the new building would block their view of the parking garage at Federal Way and Central Avenue.

After discussion, the developer agreed to a council requirement that at least 50 percent of the units in the first building must be sold before it can apply for a building permit.

"It's important to understand the difference between brownstones and condos," said Nancy Holloway, the Garden District sales director. "A brownstone is a townhome-style home with two or three levels, and a condominium is in a five-story building and [units are] all on a single level."

Master plan

"The goal, the plan, the vision was to do a mixed-use project that could be developed over a generational time frame," said developer Frank Bliss, president of Cooper and Stebbins.

Before starting the Town Square project in the 1990s, Bliss looked for an area that could support long-term investment, development and growth.

"This was a site that we felt was going to be able to handle a sustainable mixed-use development for a long period of time," Bliss said. "If you are going to do something so bold you want to find a place that has a commitment to quality and a commitment to vision that would be compatible to your own project."

According to Bliss, people across the board are expressing interest in the brownstones and condos. Many are executives and highly specialized doctors who are traveling 100 to 200 days a year and want to live close to the airport, and also want a house without a yard to cut down on maintenance.

Young couples are also drawn to the development.

"If you have a young couple who are married and don't have children yet and are traveling 200 days a year, living on a single family lot and having to maintain a yard and a pool doesn't really fit [their lifestyle]. But they have found a community [here] that fits their lifestyle, that fits their aspirational goals," Bliss said.

Bliss said that young couples like living in urban areas, but their choices have been limited to downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth until recently as more mixed-use developments have sprouted up around the Metroplex. In addition, parents who have adult children, also called empty nesters, are expressing increasing interest in the project.

"All too often when they are forced to downsize they are forced to compromise because everything shrinks and gets smaller, but that's not what they want," Bliss said. "They still want a full-size kitchen, they want a full-sized living area, an entertainment area, a full-sized master bedroom."

By Kyle G. Horst
Kyle G. has been in the newspaper business since 2006. A graduate of The University of Texas at Tyler, he filled nearly every position with the student-run newspaper, The Patriot Talon. After moving to South Dakota, Kyle G. became the senior city government reporter for the Watertown Public Opinion, a daily newspaper serving a community of 20,000 residents. Kyle G. is now the editor of the Grapevine/Colleyville/Southlake (GCS) edition of the Community Impact Newspaper. He covers transportation, business, city and education news.

Methodist Southlake Hospital is transitioning to a wholly owned facility, which allows it to expand its services to Medicare patients. (Courtesy Methodist Southlake Hospital)
Methodist Southlake Hospital expands services as it begins to accept Medicare patients

As of the end of April, Medicare patients can now receive care at Methodist Southlake Hospital.

The market will serve Cajun-specialty seafood and fresh meats. (Courtesy T-Johnny’s Cajun & Seafood Market)
T-Johnny’s Cajun & Seafood Market to open in early June in Colleyville

T-Johnny’s Cajun & Seafood Market expects to open in early June at 5409 Colleyville Blvd., Colleyville.

A LongHorn Steakhouse was expected to open in early 2020 at The Citadel development near I-35W and Heritage Trace Parkway. The opening has been delayed, according to staff. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
Tuesday Morning bankruptcy, census data and three other DFW-area stories

Here are five recent updates from the metroplex, on delayed openings, mass layoffs and more.

Those who give blood through May 31 will receive a t-shirt by mail while supplies last. For the month of June, donators will receive a $5 Amazon gift card through email, courtesy Amazon, according to American Red Cross. (Courtesy American Red Cross)
Red Cross offers incentives for blood donations in Dallas-Fort Worth area

The American Red Cross has roughly 1,300 blood donation appointments in North Texas that need to be filled through June 15.

Here are the latest coronavirus updates for Grapevine, Colleyville and Southlake. (Community Impact staff)
DATA: Confirmed COVID-19 cases in Grapevine, Colleyville, Southlake as of May 28

Tarrant County Public Health reported that the county has seen an increase of 491 new COVID-19 cases since May 21.

Since Richardson ISD announced school closures in March, Network of Community Ministries has been providing weekend meal boxes to families in need. (Courtesy Network of Community Ministries)
Reliant Energy donates $100,000 to Richardson, Grapevine nonprofits on front lines of fight against COVID-19

Network of Community Ministries and GRACE are two of the four organizations receiving donations.

Normally crowded toll roads are experiencing a decline in the number of motorists, according to data from the North Texas Tollway Authority. (Liesbeth Powers/Community Impact Newspaper)
North Texas Tollway Authority develops plan to mitigate unprecedented loss of revenue

Money-saving tactics include an indefinite hiring freeze and the delay of some projects, according to a spokesperson.

Outdoor venues in all Texas counties will be permitted to operate at up to 25% capacity starting May 31. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Spectators to be welcomed back to Texas outdoor sporting events May 31 at 25% of venue capacity

Venue owners must operate under guidelines that facilitate appropriate social distancing.

Tuesday Morning plans to close 230 of its 687 stores in a phased approach. (Anna Lotz/Community Impact Newspaper)
Development news and other top stories from this week in DFW

Read the most popular stories so far this week from Community Impact Newspaper's Dallas-Fort Worth coverage.

Each eligible child will receive $285 in benefits. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Some Texas students eligible for one-time federal benefit to aid with food purchases

Texas received approval from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide more than $1 billion in pandemic food benefits.

(Courtesy Dallas Fort Worth International Airport)
Dallas Fort Worth airport sees 45% decline in passengers during March

The Dallas Fort Worth International Airport saw steep declines in the number of passengers passing through its doors each month.

Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar spoke to members of the Clear Lake Area Chamber of Commerce on May 27 about what the state's post-pandemic economic turnaround might look like. (Screenshot of May 27 virtual luncheon)
Texas comptroller predicts slow, steady economic turnaround post-pandemic

Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar said the state entered the era of the coronavirus in a healthy financial situation, which bodes well for the future as reopening continues, but that Texans are not out of the woods yet.