The City Council starts with a 5:30 p.m. work session followed by meetings on the first and third Tuesday of each month at Southlake Town Hall, 1400 Main St., Southlake. 817-481-5581. www.cityofsouthlake.com
Terms and compensation
The mayor and council are elected at-large for three-year terms with term limits They are not paid.
Meetings are broadcast live on Charter cable Channel 27 and Verizon Fios Channel 34.
Hot topics for 2013
- The new building at 100 E. Dove Road, which houses a fire station plus a firing range for police and a large auditorium for training, is expected to reduce response times in North Southlake. The cost: about $13.3 million.
School resource officers
- The Carroll ISD, the city and residents responded to the Sandy Hook school shootings by meeting to discuss ways to keep students safer. The result: City police officers are now stationed at each Carroll ISD school.
Forest Park Hospital opens
- The $80 million boutique hospital opened at the end of May. The physician-owned hospital at 335 E. SH 114 has 54 patient rooms and 12 operating rooms, among other features.
Del Frisco's Grille built
- The new restaurant at the corner of Southlake Boulevard and Carroll Avenue was completed near the end of 2013, giving Town Square its largest restaurant.
A look at 2014
Community Recreation Center
- Construction on Phase 1—consisting of community areas and the senior center—is expected to start in 2014. Voters will have to approve a change in taxes to cover the cost of the second phase. The entire project is expected to be completed in 2017.
Park Village and Trader Joe's
- A new shopping center on Southlake Boulevard, Park Village, has already signed REI. Across the street at Town Square, a new Trader Joe's supermarket is coming. Both are being built in 2014.
- The City Council approved a new economic development investment fund containing $600,000, and still must decide how it will be spent.
Residential growth at Town Square and elsewhere
- The first condominiums for lease at Southlake Town Square may be built this year, as well as other new housing. Winding Creek subdivision was under construction as the year began.